We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hub for day hikes

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
hub for day hikes

My husband and I plan to spend a few days in Las Alpajurras at the end of September. We would like to find one town/village where we can stay and do a different hike every day - for about 4 days. Ideally, the village would have a couple of different places to eat. We don't want to drive, so the restaurants would need to be within walking distance from each other and from a good hotel.

What is the best village to use as a hub?

9 replies to this topic
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,270 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hub for day hikes

raleigh:

Here is a good article:

rusticblue.com/walking_holidays_hiking_vacat…

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hub for day hikes

Lanjaron is a popular base and has a reasonable bus service www.alsa.es

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,822 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hub for day hikes

Lanjaron - home of the famous Mineral Water - is a popular choice for hikers. There is a reasonable bus service to get you to other alpujarran villages such as Pampaniera, Bubion and Orgiva. See www.alsa.es for timetables and prices.

Orgiva is another popular base for hikers - a little more touristy than Lanjaron.

Peak District
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hub for day hikes

I would go for either Lanjaron or Capileira. Both are served by a reasonable bus service. Lanjaron has the great advantage of being able to go to Granada or the beach as well as some great walking and a range of hotels and bars. However if your passion is just to do some day walks, you would find more choice at Capileira, and could use the National Park Information service bus to go high into the mountains. Happy to advise on more detail if you want to get in touch.

Raleigh NC
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hub for day hikes

Thanks for the advice. I think we have settled on Capileira. Do you know if there are places where we would find maps for local hikes? Do they have a tourist office that will be helpful?

thanks again.

Trevelez, Spain
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hub for day hikes

Lanjaron is not good and not really yet in the Alpujarra but capileira is fine but perhaps on the western edge of the best walking. For 4 days walking I think you might get limited in which ever village you chose and would consider walking on to another to the east. This gives you much more variety. Trevelez is the most central with the most possibilities but perhaps is better for the more intrepid walker.

maps are best got off the internet before arrival. some companies who organise walking holidays have very good 1:25000 maps which they provide as part of a package I can tell you more about that if you contact me via my profile. Any commercial map will be 1:50000 or 1:40000 which cant really give reliable detail.

Capileira has an information office that opens erratically but should be open in September

7. Re: hub for day hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, September 17, 2011

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hub for day hikes

I was in the area about 2 weeks ago and agree that Capiliera would make a good base. It's little a bit touristy but ok. Bars, restaurants, buses and walks. I stayed in Trevelez [Hotel Fragua] which is also good. For walks you could use Sunflower Andulicia guide http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/andalucia.htm there a few walks in your area. A good number of trails are signposted locally so you can make up walks as you go.

There is a bus that goes from the village up a road that leads high up onto Mulhacen - check Google maps.

Good 'up and back' walk from Trevelez - out the top of the village and up the valley of the Rio Trevelez, fairly easy and scenic, or alternative straight up into the hills.

Granada, Spain
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hub for day hikes

sorry, I inadvertently advertised, apologies.

Reply to: hub for day hikes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Province of Granada