We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

Melbourne
Level Contributor
305 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

Hi,

looking for a reasonable hotel (less than $100 per night) on Panglao that I can snorkel from the beach without getting run over by boats. Really not interested in nightlife and have heard that Alona beach is not great due to sea weed anyway. Does anyone know which beach is best for quiet snorkel. I am spending few weeks in Philippines travelling around to various snorkel spots so am only interested in Panglao. Is Dumaluan Beach better for snorkeling ? Have considered Dumaluan Beach Resort 2.

Maybe there is even a quieter, better snorkelling area of alona ? Is Balicasag Island my only real option ? Anyone have experience with the transfers for Balicasag, I am travelling alone so I suspect boat trip will be pricey.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can provide.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

I am travelling alone so I suspect boat trip will be pricey.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Not for an Australian.

However, there will be many people on Alona Beach offering you a boat ride for something or other. Just tell them you want to join a trip with others going to Balicasag

Melbourne
Level Contributor
305 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

Thanks Big Jim. Any ideas on which is the best beach on Paglao to snorkel from the beach ?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
2,060 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

This mentions two Panglao Island beaches:

livingincebuforums.com/ipb/…

This confirms Doljo Beach:

…wordpress.com/2011/…

Here is a large scale map and some brief details about Doljo Beach:

http://www.bohol.ph/article18.html

and here are the ever helpful TA reviews:

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g103681…

The small hotel booking site www.asiatravel.com has a reasonable range of Panglao Island (Alona Beach) hotels and an excellent range of Metro Manila hotels, the latter recommended for your first and at least one 'last night' in Philippines so that you don't miss domestic and international flights respectively.

Edited: 7:12 am, July 23, 2014
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,351 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

Any ideas on which is the best beach on Paglao to snorkel from the beach ?

---------------------------------------------

Sorry, never snorkelled in my life but I have heard that Balicasag is excellent for that. So, That is what i would be concentrating on. And if you are staying at Alona Beach, you will get plenty of offers to take you there.

By the way, have you booked your flight yet? I just posted a message about the latest PAL airfare promo from Melbourne I received by text today. AUD $744 Melbourne to Manila return airfare with taxes. Pay by the 31st July.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,608 posts
1,671 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

Ive snorkelled at Balicasag Island and the snorkeling there is fantastic. Didnt do any snorkelling close to shore at Alona Beach.

Tommo

Melbourne
Level Contributor
305 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

Thankyou for all the great information, Victorialand you have gone above and beyond. Will look into accommodation at Doljo and Momo beach. I am planning to do a snorkel trip to Balicasag Island but I do love to be able to just snorkel from the beach I am staying near. Although it may not be great snorkelling at PanglaoI (don't like the sounds of scary seaweed and spiky sea urchins), I had read about good snorkelling at Bohol Beach Club (pay to access) and a fish sanctuary near Amorita Resort.

BTW, I have already booked my flights with PAL, going in November.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,608 posts
1,671 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

@loulou26_9 not sure if you are going to Siquijor but they have a house reef at Cocogrove Resort where you can snorkel. The hotel also has a nice swim up bar where you can enjoy a few drinks.

Tommo

Melbourne
Level Contributor
305 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

Hi Tommo, yes I am booked into Cocogrove

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,608 posts
1,671 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

Enjoy. Its one of my favourite islands and favourite resorts.

Here is my JBR with details of a driver you can use in Siquijor:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g664445-i12975-k50…

Tommo

10. Re: Panglao Island - Hotel close to snorkel from beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:08 am, August 30, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Panglao Island