We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

Victorville, Ca.
13 posts
Save Topic
Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

Hello, Newbie here. Hope I'm not asking too many questions but here goes!!

Won a free round trip to Catalina.I've never been before, sounds like it could be fun!

Probably will just stay one night on a mid-summer Saturday.

1.The resv. site is asking which harbor I want to arrive at: Two Harbors, or Avalon? Does it matter?

2.Any suggestions on which hotel to stay at?

3. I may have a guest with me, but I might not. Maybe a suggestion on what to do/where to go for a single unmarried male traveler? Not like hanging w/ other singles, just maybe activities that doesn't require a significant other to enjoy...

4.Things to do: I'm somewhat middleaged, (but not dead, lol) so R&R is generally what I'm looking for but would love to do something different & fun in the short time I'll be there.

Hope that's not too much to ask...ANY suggestions would be fantastic!!

Thanks, in advance!

Corey

Victorville, Ca.
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

UPDATE: Turns out no hotel will let me stay less than 2 nights. So it looks like I'll just be staying for the day.

I have the same ?'s as above, but there will be no hotel stay.

Thanks for any advice!

Corey

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

You want Avalon for a first time visit. It's there where there is most to do for a day.

You can take the Catalina Express out of Long Beach or San Pedro, they are both about the same if you drive in from Victorville.

During summer you can only stay one night if it's during the week, summer weekends book up months in advance.

There are tours to take, or it's fun to walk around on Crescent Ave, and have lunch at one of the many places. We like Busy Bee Cafe on the dock over the water. Fun to rent a golf cart for an hour (cash only) and ride around town on the marked areas.

http://www.catalinaexpress.com/avalon.php

http://www.catalinachamber.com/

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

FYI, if it is your ACTUAL Birthday, Catalina Express will give you a free ticket with proof (aka show your ID) and making a reservation on their website prior to arriving at the dock.

And yes, go to Avalon, get their early and leave late. The trip is about 1 hour on the ferry each way. Also, you might look at some seasick medicine if you have issue on boats to make sure you enjoy your trip.

Victorville, Ca.
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

GREAT ideas, thank you!! & yes, I am going for free on my birthday but unfortunately it falls on a saturday, so that's why I can only stay one night. 2 nights are a bit out of my price range.

LOVE the golf cart idea!! :)

Ok, Avalon it is. How early is early & how late does the last ferry leave?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

It depends out of which port you leave from, you need to go check out the Catalina Express Website, and look at your options.

The main Long Beach dock tends to have the most options.

Victorville, Ca.
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

Got it, thanks, Dark beer!!

Laguna Hills...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

My favorite tour is the semi-submersible. You get to see a lot of fish. The night time one is even better-too bad you can't stay over! The glass bottom boat is also fun.

Victorville, Ca.
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

Yeah, I wish I could stay over, too. Just not in the budget this year! :(

I'll stay as long as I can...

The submersible thing at nite sounds cool!! Thanks for the idea!

Laguna Hills...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

It is still great during the day, too. They throw out food so the fish come right up to the windows. Glass bottom boat is good, too & cheaper, IIRC. I've always seen seals/sea lions on it & sometimes dolphins, too. You may get to see dolphins on the way over, too. Have a wonderful trip!

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Celebrating birthday w/ trip to Catalina. Never been.

what is the differnece between the cataline flyer and the catalina express?