We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palma airport security and baby milk

Which Port de Pollenca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
411 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Palma airport security and baby milk

I am travelling in 2 weeks with my 5 month old son and wandered what experiences other people have had. I'm sorted for the outbound flight as I have preordered milk airside to collect at boots. On the return flight I was wandering what happens and if Spanish security is the same as uk as I know USA have different procedures for baby milk.

I have 200ml cartons which I will be taking for the return flight, will I have to open them all and taste them all or just a percentage? Or do they have milk scanners(like USA) or do they just not bother about baby milk.

If I have to open them all I'm a bit worried as they only last 2 hours once opened (obviously not long enough for the airport and flight). Is there somewhere in Palma airport to buy baby milk after security?

Thanks in advance! This is the last hurdle for little ones first trip on a plane!

Essex, England
Level Contributor
165 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palma airport security and baby milk

When we travelled with my grandson a couple of years ago we only took the one bottle made up and bought cartons in boots for the journey and the first night, on the return my daughter only took one bottle as that was all her son needed in a four/five hour time. I am pretty sure she had to taste the milk, is it not possible to take milk powder and ask for boiled water once through security or on the plane.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
411 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palma airport security and baby milk

My health visitor said not to take cooled boiled water as the water needs to be 70degrees to kill the bacteria in the powder and she said not to get boiled water from a cafe etc as you don't know how many times its been boiled and to be sterile it is only meant to be boiled once! Argh! I'm a first time mum and I guess I've just been doing things by the book and was told cartons were best! I might take some sterile water in bottles as back up and if I have to, I have to!

Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palma airport security and baby milk

You should be fine taking them through. We went through with a couple of cartons last week and nothing was said

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
411 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palma airport security and baby milk

Thanks, did you show them the cartons or just leave them in your bag?

Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palma airport security and baby milk

We just left them in the bag and nothing was said. I would not worry about it

Llandudno, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Llandudno
Level Contributor
11,935 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palma airport security and baby milk

Baby food or milk is exempt from the 100ml rule ,our little one was 5 months old last year when we went ,we took 4 ready made up bottles on the outward and inward journeys ,we had to taste a random 2 at Manchester on the way out but did not have to taste any flying home from Palma but that is not to say other people did not ..

In the UK they do make you open the cartons not sure about Palma perhaps it would be best to bottle it up just in case .

There is some useful info here that may help you once you are on Mallorca.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g580306-i9799-k6…

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
411 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palma airport security and baby milk

Thanks a lot, I'll just put some cartons in the bag and hope for the best! If I have to open them I do but would rather not cos then you only have 2 hours to use them! We've ordered them airside for flying out so not worried about that! So much to think about with a baby in tow!

8. Re: Palma airport security and baby milk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 20, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Port de Pollenca