We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

Which Port de Pollenca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth...
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

Hello,

Me, my husband and family are hiring a villa for a week the end of this month and as it's our first time to Majorca/Puerto Pollensa can any of the experts give me some good restaurant recommendations? we'd like a mixture of traditional Spanish/mallorcan as we'd love a good paella and sangria! also what is the best Italian and Chinese restaurant in the area?

Thank you for any recommendations in advance :-)

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
521 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

Sure you will get plenty recommendations....for Italian (pizza) go to Little Italy which is about 10 mins walk along the pine walk. Also very close to there is Laroc who do fantastic pasta.

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

A restaurant called Stay in the marina is a top class place serving quality Sanish and international cuisine.

There is a restaurant 30 yards or so to the left of Hotel Daina as you look at it that serves excellent paella - the paella negro was particuatly good and we washed it down with a jug of Sangria.

Someone will tell you the name of it.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

Even though there are lots of good and excellent restaurants in PP, I'm finding this question surprisingly trixy to answer easily. Certainly can't help with Italian or Chinese restos (there are several of both in the resort) as we only go to those in UK.

Unfortunately, two of my favourite traditional Spanish/Mallorcan places have closed or changed ownership in past two years so they are off my list.

One continued favourite of mine is Tango Ca Vostra (on coast road) about 1.5 miles from centre of PP. Very well run, owned by Manolo (a great character). Good food and good value, especially their fixed price. Their a la carte menu includes a good paella and their sangri is excellent (eaten there many many times). Only need to book in advance if you want one of the window tables with the view (that's what we prefer). Click on the link below to inspect menus and scroll down for paellas etc.

www.restaurantetrioytango.com/en/carta.htm

Trios is 'sister' resto of Tango (both on same website above) and is located in the resort centre. Trios is fantastic value, good food and service - more UK bias to menu and no paella listed.

Other than those, I'm moving upmarket (and price). The following three are all excellent IMO, located in centre with nice views, but are less traditional food ('with a modern Mallorcan twist', as they say). Their MDD fixed price are good value, but their a la carte's are expensive - and my order of preference is Restaurant Stay, La Llonja and Iru; need to book Stay & Llonja in advance; websites -

http://www.stayrestaurant.com/index.html

http://www.restaurantlallonja.com/en/

www.iru.com.es/restau/castella/indice.html

PS - can't be certain of name of resto indicated by Steven, so prefer not to guess.

PPS - this linked map may help, but bear in mind that only the advertised restos on that website are listed, there are lots more in the resort

puertopollensa.com/maps/pdfs/MapRestaurantsP…

Bromsgrove, United...
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

KWUK,Linz- The restaurant I was referring to is El Casinet.

Bournemouth...
Level Contributor
27 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

thank you for the replies,

I like the sound of Tango so think we'll add that to the list, also have heard stay and la Llonja mentioned a lot so they sound a good bet.

Are there any restaurants we should definitely avoid or are they all of a decent standard? am always a bit wary about trying places I haven't been before!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

linz is right.Little Italy for pizza,Laroc for pasta.I did have a Chinese meal in Luna Miel (Honeymoon) by the bus stop 6 months ago but only the price I remember favourably.Most restaurants can't be bothered with cooking a genuine paella cooked from scratch.They just use a freezer kitbag that is light years away from how a real paella should taste.I have had much nicer paellas in Andalucia than in Majorca.

I would think your best bet is to pre-order a paella with 24 hrs notice at one of the genuine non-fastfood restos eg La Llonja or cheaper Neptuno, for which you will be quoted the price in toto not per head and you will be expected to pay at least a cash deposit upfront. I had the wrong idea about paella when I first discovered it. I was interested in what meat eg chicken knuckles/wings, and fish eg entire prawns,mussels and tiny crabs were in the dish. Most of the meat and fish was boney and inedible so I felt cheated.

Then I was told that the meat and fish is only to flavour the saffron rice.It is the rice the Spanish enjoy and all the entrails are left for the swill (except maybe the langoustines).

Sangria made with Cava is very nice and refreshing but intoxicating.Think it is called Sangria Royale.

Sorry I know you only asked for info not a lecture.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

There are definitely some restaurants (think TexMex) best avoided but it is fairer to all concerned to concentrate on those we have or would recommend from personal experience.Like KWUK I am a fan of Stay and Tango and will be in both some time next week,probably more than once in Tango because the prices for the All Incl are so fair. The menu del dia in Stay is 35 euros each all incl and top quality/top setting but once in a week will do us.You can get 2 nights in Tango for that much.

If you happen to be there on a Sunday and fancy for a change from Spanish a good tasty original English roast dinner (choice of beef/lamb/pork) then I can heartily recommend Hells Kitchen.They do all incl prices too depending on how many courses you want. All cooked on the premises by Ian Jones- from St Helens originally.Pre-booking essential.

Edited: 5:53 pm, April 15, 2013
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
7,831 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

Ros3y, in answer to your extra qns - most restaurants in PP are good, but obviously that all depends on what the customer expects or is seeking.

Personal choice, but based on experiences, we will never again eat in Tapas y Punto on the front or Ivy on the road behind; and (because they destroyed a piece of PP history) Los Pescadores the popular spot at the start of narrow Pine Walk footpath (IMO David Cameron made an error of political judgement by eating there last summer). And yes, we avoid all the Dakota Tex Mex places; though the separate Nicos is ok with us.

Edited: 6:03 pm, April 15, 2013
manchester
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

Many places to explore. Yes Restaurante Stay is great and there are many options to suit all budgets on the menu. .Worth a visit if just for the view. Take a look at the online menu. For traditional Mallorcan try El Posito situated a street behind the church. No view of the bay but a nice atmosphere with local food etc.Open at lunch too.

Una

Palmanova, Spain
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: first time to Puerto Pollensa good restaurant recommendation

Hi there, Pollensa is a great place to stay, you will have a fab time. If you have an iphone or ipad download "The Mallorca Guide" app for free on itunes. Recommended restaurants, beaches, market days, places to explore! The restaurant section is always being updated so keep checking back. Have a great time!

Get answers to your questions about Port de Pollenca