We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Underwater caves

Which Port de Pollenca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Underwater caves

Many years ago I took a boat trip from Port de Pollenca round the Formentor peninsula and we were able to swim into some underwater caves on the northern coast. I have never been able to find them again. Does anyone know where they are?

wales
Level Contributor
341 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Underwater caves

Could this be what your looking for.

skaphandrus.com/en/…29_de_Formentor

wales
Level Contributor
341 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Underwater caves

Could this be what your looking for.

skaphandrus.com/en/…29_de_Formentor

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Underwater caves

Thanks for this but what we did was not advanced SCUBA diving. We didn't even need a snorkel. But we were able to swim through a narrow entrance, possibly 15-30 cm tall, into a vast cavern the size of a cathedral. It was lit an ethereal blue and is an experience I will never forget.

Edward

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
4,664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Underwater caves

I'm guessing as you mentioned underwater caves that's why you got a reply with regard to scuba. If you swam in it wasn't underwater...

manchester
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Underwater caves

Hi Edward

You sure you have got those measurements correct ??? It coverts to an opening of 6" X 12" (like a large letterbox) Or are you the first ever fish to post on TA ? :-)

Una

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Underwater caves

Hi Una

Ho Ho! No, this was about the height above water of the entrance - hence almost impossible to spot unless you know exactly where the caves are. It was safer to dive under water to get through the entrance to be certain you didn't scrape your back on the rock above. I couldn't tell you the width of the entrance but I guess it would be several metres. But once inside, the caves are vast and very beautiful.

Regards

Edward

manchester
Level Contributor
190 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Underwater caves

Edward

You were a little short sighted there not carrying a tape measure and underwater SatNav device. GPS etc. So we are looking for an entrance to some rocks roughly the size of an industrial letterbox somewhere on the North Mallorcan coast that leads to a secret cave ?? Easy stuff :-)

Anyone remember the secret garden ? :-)

Una

Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Underwater caves

Someone told me there were some similar caves in the bay at the end of the Boquer Valley. Have never managed to find them myself though.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Underwater caves

Thanks. The caves were certainly in this area. Further exploration required on next visit!

Basildon, United...
Level Contributor
168 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Underwater caves

Hi Edward,have you tried (you tube),tap in formentor caves and see what you get,something might ring a bell so to speak,or just google it search it up you never know.

Edited: 5:27 am, October 24, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Port de Pollenca