We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Necessary to bring carseats to Mallorca?

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Necessary to bring carseats to Mallorca?

Hi!

We are a family of four from Norway travelling to Mallorca/Port de Pollenca next week. We will be staying at Flora for the week, and they have arranged for us to be picked up at the airport. We are bringing two children with us, a 9 month old and a 4 year old, and I an wondering if its necessary to bring carseats?

They have booked a private transportation with carseats, but I don't know anything about the quality of the carseats? Does anyone have experience? I an thinking that maybe we should bring the carseat for the baby aking with us, or is this not necessary? I an vert much confused... :p

Thanks om advance!

Mentioned in this post
Port de Pollenca
Port de Pollenca
Majorca, Spain
4 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Necessary to bring carseats to Mallorca?

Hi!

You are clearly safety conscious in that you question the safety of the seats that will be provided for you. But then you also wonder if seats are necessary at all... yes they are necessary. A car accident is a car accident the world over. Child car seats are free to take on the plane so just bring your own. Then you know they are safe to use and your children will be safe in whatever vehicle they are in. Happy and safe travels to you all! 😎👍🏻

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Necessary to bring carseats to Mallorca?

Thank you for answering My question :)

I understand that my question might be a Little unclear. I was not wondering if it is necessary with carseats in Mallorca, because I know they are needed. And I would never let My children sit in a CAR without them. I was just wondering if the standard of the carseats in Spain are good, or if I need to bring our seats with us. But I have decided to bring the babyseat with us. The woman that booked our transportation to/from the hotel assured me that there would be carseats, but I am just not sure how "safe" they are down there?

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
500 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Necessary to bring carseats to Mallorca?

I would definitely bring your own. The child seats in Spain are subject to the same R44/04 or R129 regulations that yours in Norway are, but the seats provided by transfer companies are always the bare minimum basic unbranded ones, and its highly likely that for your 9 month old they would provide a forward facing seat. You wouldn’t know the history of a hired seat, you won’t know whether it’s fitted correctly and the harness is likely to be on the wrong setting for your child and not easily adjustable.

I learned all that the hard way, so last year we brought our 5 year old’s rear facing car seat with us for the transfer to Puerto Pollensa.

If you are packaging the seat up to go in the hold get a travel bag and lots of bubble wrap. Line the bag with beach towels too. If you do that there is no problem with bringing your own seat, it won’t get damaged if you protect it well.

For your four year old they’ll probably provide a backless booster. You might be ok with that for a one-off trip, I probably would be for an ‘average’ four year old, but again you could bring a high backed booster of your own.

When you are on holiday you can ask the hotel to store the seats in their luggage room. The Puerto Azul were happy to let us do that last year, we only needed the child seat for the airport transfers and it would have taken up quite a lot of space in the room otherwise.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Necessary to bring carseats to Mallorca?

If must advise Taxi Firm they are needed. I have always seen kids seat boosters in back of taxis at all the ranks. All taxi are very high quality Majorca & feel safe.

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Reply to: Necessary to bring carseats to Mallorca?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port de Pollenca