We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Cluj-Napoca to Sapanta for Merry Cemetery

California
Level Contributor
235 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Cluj-Napoca to Sapanta for Merry Cemetery

We will be in Cluj-Napoca before driving around Transylvania but would like to see the Merry Cemetery in Sapanta. Can we make this drive in ONE day to/from Cluj and is it safe to drive at night on our return to Cluj? I understand it would take at least 4 hours one-way.

Our plans are mainly to see Sighisoara, Brasov, Sibiiu, in one week before leaving from Cluj-Napoca. Thanks, Lencho

Edited: 7:30 pm, January 08, 2012
7 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
235 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Cluj-Napoca to Sapanta for Merry Cemetery

We will be in Cluj-Napoca before driving around Transylvania but would like to see the Merry Cemetery in Sapanta. Can we make this drive in ONE day to/from Cluj and is it safe to drive at night on our return to Cluj? I understand it would take at least 4 hours one-way.

Our plans are mainly to see Sighisoara, Brasov, Sibiiu, in one week before leaving from Cluj-Napoca. Thanks, Lencho

Edited: 7:31 pm, January 08, 2012
Breb, Romania
Level Contributor
562 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Cluj-Napoca to Sapanta for Merry Cemetery

Hi,

It is possible, but you will be a lot of hours in the car for just one short visit (because if you only visit the Merry Cemetary, you will be back in your car again after 30 minutes or so). If you don't know the road that good, it will cost you 4,5 hours one way. So to drive 9 or 10 hours only for this, i wouldn't do that. Besides, Maramures has a lot more (and nicer) things to offer and deserves a longer visit. Maybe safe it for a next trip?

Driving at night is safe, but you always have to be careful, especially with people, amimals and horse and carts (in Maramures) on the road.

Have a good trip,

Matthijs

Bucharest
Destination Expert
for Bucharest, Brasov
Level Contributor
6,000 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Cluj-Napoca to Sapanta for Merry Cemetery

You could do it as day trip but Maramures is really worth more time, as mentioned above by Matthijs.

If you have a week my suggestion would be to drive to Sapanta then cross the rest of Maramures visiting some of the tourist sites along the way (about 2 days), move on to Sighisoara (1/2 day), Brasov (1-2 days), Sibiu (one day) and back to Cluj.

California
Level Contributor
235 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Cluj-Napoca to Sapanta for Merry Cemetery

Thank you for your response. Yes, it would be a lot of driving in one day and best to save this part for another trip. Thanks again. Lencho

New Jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Cluj-Napoca to Sapanta for Merry Cemetery

Hello,

How did your trip go? Would you share what rental car company you used?

I'll be doing a similar trip and I would like to know if it's possible to rent a car close to the train station in Cluj Napoca. I'm also arriving at 6.30am at the train station and hopefully I won't have to wait long for the rental places to open. I'll appreciate your advice. Thank you.

Breb, Romania
Level Contributor
562 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Cluj-Napoca to Sapanta for Merry Cemetery

@ # 5

Just an advice.. If you can't find any company's near the train station (i don't think there are but am not sure), best is to take a taxi to the airport (20-25 Ron) If you want to go to Maramures you will have to take that road anyway. At the airport are a lot of company's which will be open then.

Good luck,

Matthijs

New Jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Cluj-Napoca to Sapanta for Merry Cemetery

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

It seems that I found what I was looking for. Autonom has offered to bring the car and deliver it at the specified time, so far not extra charge.

:)

Reply to: Driving from Cluj-Napoca to Sapanta for Merry Cemetery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sapanta