We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shall i stay in kissamos

Cairo, Egypt
5 posts
Save Topic
shall i stay in kissamos

Hi i am planning to travel in AUGUST to crete and i want to stay in a place close to the good beaches and in the same time not far from Chania would u recommend kissamos.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shall i stay in kissamos

I would move further East to one of the resorts from Malame East , back onto a more frequent bus route into Chania. If Chania is what you want move to one of the closer resorts where ataxi won't cost so much if you decide to stay out.

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
699 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shall i stay in kissamos

It would help if you could be specific on what you want in a "good beach". Most of the beaches along the north coast are good in one way or another, do you want space or facilities, gently shelving beach for wading, or deeper close in for swimming. If you snorkel and like to see fish you need some large rocks or other features for them to shelter around. Do you want sunbeds, beach bars, toilets, showers, games, pedalos, or just peace and quiet and great scenery? Tell us what you want and we will make suggestions.

Ottawa, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: shall i stay in kissamos

I'm planning a similar trip and would like to visit Elafonissi beach on one day and Balos on another. I thought Kissamos would be the best place to stay for visiting those two beaches. Just to be a bit closer than Chania and save some driving.

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shall i stay in kissamos

yep but it's just a port town and like most in the world somewhere to just pass through I would say it was one of the least holiday like towns in Crete and would be very low down my list of places to base my self.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shall i stay in kissamos

I agree with chappers. I like Kissamos: it's a nice, ordinary, working Greek town, but it's not somewhere most people would want to spend a holiday. If it's a beach holiday you're looking for, there are several good resorts with good accommodation on the coast west of Chania; if you want to stay in a town, Chania would be a much better choice.

But bear in mind that August is a very hot month, and neither town would be as comfortable as a resort hotel on a beach.

Edited: 5:40 pm, June 25, 2013
Mestre, Italy
Level Contributor
8,554 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: shall i stay in kissamos

If you want to vist the best beaches of Crete, Kissamos is the best place. The town itself if ugly, but it's a strategic point to Balos, Falasarna and Elafonissi. You can also go to Chania, in the evening in 40min of drive.

If you want to stay to Chania and still visit those beaches you still need to pass from Kissamos, so it's up to you. The westernmost part of Kissamos has lovely beach and sea, almost deserted and never crowded. Otherwise you can choose Resorts near Chania (or somewhere else) where umbrellas are placed 1,5-2m from each other.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18,460 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: shall i stay in kissamos

I would disagree that Balos, Falasarna and Elafonisi are the best beaches of Crete, with the exception of Falasarna, which I do think is one of them. But if they are one's top priorities, Kissamos is a convenient location for visiting them, so floriani makes a valid point.

I would prefer the place I stay in to be a lovely place to wake up to and go for a walk around in in the morning, and a beautiful place in the evening and at night, even though it may be a longer journey to visit places during the day. If I wanted to spend my evenings in Chania, I wouldn't want to drive for 40 minutes there (and back after eating and especially drinking!) I'd want to stay there, or much nearer there than Kissamos.

Besides, the OP said she wanted to be near "the good beaches". There are loads of good beaches, with hotels well suited to tourists, along Crete's coasts. Agia Apostoli and Chryssi Akti give Elafonisi a run for its money any day, I think. As for "best" beaches, I think they're on the south coast, but of course harder to reach and not perhaps as suitable for first time visitors.

Anyway, sara a hasn't said anything since her post two weeks ago, and has probably long since moved on, without so much as a thank you to anyone who tried to help her. Par for the course!

Edited: 10:11 am, July 03, 2013
Ede, Netherlands
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: shall i stay in kissamos

Hi, thanks to everyone who has suggested places so far. I am also looking to go to Crete for the first time, but just for 5 days. I will be flying into Chania and don't want to travel too far. From what I gather from all your posts, staying around Chania or just west of Chania would probably offer some great beaches (we don't need 'the best' just a great place to relax, swim and unwind) Can you confirm?

I was also wondering about transport on Crete - is there good public transport from the airport/in and around Chania and to neighbouring little towns or is it better to hire a car? Thanks in advance :)

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: shall i stay in kissamos

The resorts to the west of Chania would be perfect for you. There is a great bus service serving these resorts and Chania with buses all night in peak season, there are also good services between the maiun towns and other villages but don't expect the more remote places to be that well connected.

www.bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetable.php…

Dorset
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: shall i stay in kissamos

Kissamos is great for beaches and yes it IS a port but still has some nice bars etc. Sara hasn't replied to any posts - but then again i note she is from Cairo. She's probably got more on her plate right now. Any place out of there would be good - beaches or not....

Get answers to your questions about Kissamos