We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

Which Kissamos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stockholm, Sweden
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

Hello!

I'm travelling to Crete in a few weeks and are wondering if there are any buses that goes from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos? I prefer to travel by bus, but if not, do you know how far it is? Is it possible to walk? (sidewalk) Or the price if you have to take a taxi?

I appreciate your help.

Kind regards

Mia

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

There is one bus a day which travels from Chania to Kissamos port to connect with the Balos boat:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

It's also my understanding that when there is a ferry due, the bus connects with the port, but I'm sorry I don't have any firm information on this. It's no more than 3km., and not a problem to walk.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

Thank you for your help! Do you know which of the buses that might go all the way to the port? I think the boats leaves around 10.00, so maybe the one at 8.30? All though I have to know for sure so we don't miss the boat...

Haven't decided if we are going stay in Chania and go for a daytrip to Balos Beach or if we will stay in Kissamos for two days and leave for Balos one of them. We'll see. If you recommend one or the other, please let me know :)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

If you scroll down to very near the bottom of the timetable link I put in my other post, you will see a listing for the port. You are right, it is at 0830 from Chania, and returns when the boat gets back

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
652 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

Chania town has more sightseeing, but in 1 day its enough to see everything. Kissamos is a small fishing port, nothing special, but the beaches are nice (pebles, no sand), quiter and cleaner. Having said that, most travellers prefer to go to Falassarna, Balos or Elafonissi for a swim, because the beaches there are stunning (and are sandy). But you need to rent a car or take bus.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

Thank you Steve and George for your help. We have just decided that we're going to sleep two nights i Chania. We arrive in the evening, the next day we'll make a daytrip to Balos beach and the day after that we'll go by bus to Elafonissi. There we'll stay for 11 nights. Might be too long, but we loooove to relax, so I think it will be fine. If we become a bit restless, do you know any good daytrips in that area?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

Here is something I pasted from a aimilar question a couple of days ago:

Days out by car - beaches in the far west, Elafonisi and Falarsarna.

On the road to Rethymnon, Georgioupolis and lake Kournas. On the Akrotiri peninsula, Stavros and the Allied war cemetery.

Rethymnon town and even Arkadi monastery are within 1.5 hour drive.

South coast villages - Paleohora and Sougia.

More locally, lake Agia, the untouristy Kolymbari and Kastelli Kissamos, and the river running from Agia to Platanias.

Almost all of them can be reached by bus from Chania.

I'm sorry I don't have a link to the city buses (for Agia) except in Greek, but you will be able to get details when you are there.

Edited: 3:02 am, August 22, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

Thank you! We leave the 14th of September, think it will be a great trip :)

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

I'm sure you will have a great time!

Enjoy...

Stockholm, Sweden
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

By the way, when and where is it best to buy tickets for the boat to Balos Beach? Is there different companies, one better than the other? Thank you :)

Agii Apostoli...
Level Contributor
652 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus from Kissamos Center to the harbour of Kissamos

There is one company, you buy tickets on Kissamos port, which is 5 minutes drive from Kissamos (20-30 minutes walking).

Get answers to your questions about Kissamos