We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alhambra visit in May?

Which Alhama de Granada hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Alhambra visit in May?

We intend to visit Alhambra in May , we will have a car, whilst staying in Nerja at a Parador, how long will the journey take from Nerja and do I book seperate tickets for the gardens?. I read that all the tours are in Spanish I also need to understand what the set up is when we arrive. I believe it is huge and to allow seversl hours to see. What are the best bits to see if tiime is a priority for swollen footsies? Are there several tapas and refreshments around? Any advice please?

3 replies to this topic
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,010 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alhambra visit in May?

Really better to read the notes about visiting the ALHAMBRA on the Granada Forum pages --see right hand column. I think most of your Qs will be answered?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187441-i416-Gra…

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,092 posts
3,501 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alhambra visit in May?

Google Maps says that it takes one hour and 8 minutes to drive from Nerja to Granada. I would add another hour to that because it is difficult to get to the parking lot of the Alhambra. Use Via Michelin or Google Maps to plot your trip.

Near the Carlos V Palace, there is a small building with rest rooms and which sells food from machines.

The Parador at the Alhambra has a restaurant.

Torrox, Spain
Level Contributor
3,786 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alhambra visit in May?

Allow at least 90 minutes for the journey from Nerja to the Alhambra.

Rather than going on an organised tour I would suggest you hire one of the Audio Guides (in English) and go round at your own pace.

You need to book tickets well in advance - can be done up to 3 months ahead - at www.alhambra-tickets.es

By the way, this forum is for the small town of Alhama de Granada not for the Alhambra. If you don´t mind a longer journey coming back to Nerja Alhama de Granada is well worth a stop. You can then continue via Zafarraya down to Lake Vinuela and on to the A356 that will take you back to the A7 motorway from where it is a 15 minutes drive to Nerja. A lovely journey.

Reply to: Alhambra visit in May?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alhama de Granada
More Alhama de Granada Topics