We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toad Hall

Which Nuevo Arenal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Toad Hall

What is your impression of this place? There are SO MANY signs (visual polution!) for Toad Hall and we are staying at La Mansion Inn (wonderful place) next door so we decided to pop in. We looked around the shop but there was nothing I had not seen before. Went over and stood at the bar and got absolutely no recognition at all. There were 4 employees standing in the kitchen area all standing around laughing and joking with each other and we didn't even get a 'hello' so we just left. Is the food good there? Is it worth another try?

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toad Hall

I was so annoyed at the ridiculous number of signs from Nuevo Arenal on that I purposely didn't stop there! A few of my friends did go there, didn't buy anything. The ads remind me of the old "See Rock City, See Ruby Falls" signs that were plastered along the roads from Michigan to Florida when I was young. I wouldn't buy anything there just on principle.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toad Hall

ally, I'm glad you posted this because I've always wondered what it's like.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toad Hall

It changed ownership a few years back--when we visited it was a funky, artistic type of place with a few odd crafts and really yummy brownies.

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toad Hall

There were sooooooo many signs on the drive from Arenal to MV we were really tempted to pull over. Seems we would've been disappointed.......

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toad Hall

While I have not personally ate at Toad Hall, I have heard the food was good. That said, the signs posted every 300 meters have worked to keep us away. Check out the Gingerbread near Nuevo Arenal. They have some of the best food in CR and a great atmosphere.

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,044 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toad Hall

Thanks all. I've decided to pass on Toad Hall, might check out Gingerbread as I'm moving on to Monteverde today.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,264 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Toad Hall

Check out the German Bakery in Nuevo Arenal.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toad Hall

Your best bets are:

GIngerbread (opens at 5pm and you need a reservation but worth it)

Macadamia y Cafe

Volcano Brewing Company

*These are in the order of distance from La Mansion Inn

:-)

Illinois
Level Contributor
77 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Toad Hall

I agree the signs caused us not to go there! We were very disappointed to see them littering the roadway. Not what I am interested in supporting.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Toad Hall

I have to say -- this thread made me laugh! After reading the many many posts about how signage in Costa Rica stinks or is non-existent, this "there are too many signs" thing made me laugh.