We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

Catheys Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
81 reviews
46 helpful votes
Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

Just recently returned from a fantastic one week excursion to Singapore and Koh Lipe.

Had an incredible five days on the island. Really enjoyed it. Not a single drop of rain, great swimming, some general thoughts and tips:

- My wife and I stayed at the south end of Sunrise beach. At the Ten Moons to be specific, which will be reviewed separately.

- The south end of Sunrise beach is just fantastic. Clear waters, not a lot of people. The fish in the sea were just fascinating. You can swim above the coral and I actually swam all the way out to the little island straight out from the Ten Moons resort. Be very careful of the coral during low tides. Don't touch it! Swim with fins so you can control yourself better and not be swayed too much by the currents. There are jellyfish. I got a few nasty stings on my feet and ankles. However, not as painful as I have before. You can also get a kayak and explore.

- The further north you go on Sunrise beach the busier it gets. I liked it way down south with fewer people. You get what you pay for.

- It is a simple easy walk to bar street.

- I have been to many islands in Thailand (10+). There are others with more isolation and quietness (Koh Jum for instance) but I didn't feel overwealmed with people like other people have posted about. I'm sure ten years ago it was way more remote. I also didn't feel threatened by any of the trikes or tuktuks rolling by. It was all pretty chill. Nobody hassled us at all. This is way way way different than Phuket where you can't walk 5 meters without somebody trying to sell you something. I felt totally at ease and safe.

- Alcohol is a little pricier than other places. But it's not insane expensive like a bar in Europe or New York City. I thought it was all reasonable. Bring a few bottles of liquor if that is your thing. It will help save you some funds.

- There are some fantastic BBQ places on the beach and fire / dance shows and music. I just really enjoyed the vibe of Sunset beach. Way chill.

- We came in through Langkawi but LEFT through Hat Yai. Here are some thoughts. Langkawi boat is much more chill and easy. It's only fifteen minutes to the ferry. Customs super easy. Zero problems. Boat ride mellow and chill. Getting to Hat Yai leaving was a whole different story. The boat is a big speedboat and it is not for the sea-sensitive. I had fun with the bumps on the waves but its not for everyone. It is 90 minutes of hardcore bumping. I would not bring a prego wife. We left at 0930 for a 1420 flight and BARELY made it. I paid an extra 2000baht for a private taxi to get to the airport on time. It was like MArio Andredi driving. But we made it. Barely.

- Another tip.... If you are flying on Air Asia or one of the other cheaper airlines, please make sure to buy your baggage BEFORE you get to the airport. It is way cheaper.

10 out of 10 trip. Just super happy. Please find my other reviews for some of the specific places if you wish.

Kind regards,

Ross

18 replies to this topic
Catheys Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
81 reviews
46 helpful votes
1. Re: Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

Sorry, I meant I really enjoyed the vibe of SUNRISE beach. In five days we actually never went to Sunset beach. We were too happy and content with where we were at on Sunrise beach. Which is funny because I'm the type that doesn't like to stay still and always needs to explore.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
3,729 posts
146 reviews
85 helpful votes
2. Re: Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

Thanks for the report, great you had such a good time on Lipe.

>>The boat is a big speedboat and it is not for the sea-sensitive. I had fun with the bumps on the waves but its not for everyone.

It does depend on the sea conditions, we have been on the speedboats when the sea is flat and it's a very smooth journey. One time we were on it and the sea was a bit rough...my Fitbit registered 6,000 extra steps from the bumps on the speedboat!

Catheys Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
81 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

Hahahah 6000 extra steps. LoL must of been one of those 20k plus days. I miss my fitbit. Lost it somewhere in Vietnam. Oh well.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
17 reviews
69 helpful votes
4. Re: Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

Fantastic!! We go in 2 weeks & 6 days, I’m not counting! We to are staying at Ten Moons. We are also coming through Singapore (3nights outgoing & another 2 nights incoming, with 10 days sandwiched inbetween at Koh Lipe). We also flying Air Asia to Langkawi then boat!!

We are going for our 25th Wedding Anniversary.

Glad you had a super time.

Thanks Mark

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
17 reviews
69 helpful votes
5. Re: Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

Just read about the ‘Spider’! 😬 eeek! Is the bathroom open air?

Catheys Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
81 reviews
46 helpful votes
6. Re: Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

No. Bathroom is not open air, but hell... spiders and cintepedes can slip through anything. Don't freak out. It's all good. You got a can of raid by your bed for a reason. DEET that stuff baby!

Catheys Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
81 reviews
46 helpful votes
7. Re: Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

Mark you will have a RAD TIME! Congrats on your 25th! Dont worry about the spider Seriously. It is all good. Staff amazing!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
17 reviews
69 helpful votes
8. Re: Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

Lol! It’s the wife! I won’t tell her!! Probably a Huntsman by the sounds of it!!

They actually provide the deet for you?

Catheys Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
81 reviews
46 helpful votes
9. Re: Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

Yea, they got Raid with DEET in the room. Huge bottle. Yea, don't let your wife on Tripadvisor. Haha. It will be all good. Yea, I think it was a huntsman. Just HUGE! Nothing freaks me out more than snakes and spiders. Uhhhghghhghghghgh.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
14,835 posts
180 reviews
129 helpful votes
10. Re: Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019

Hi Ross

Having just arrived Ko Lipe today, and planning to leave via Hat Yai to Bangkok, what were your travel times from each airport to Ko Lipe ?

If Langkawi airport is a lot faster to get to & less time on a speedboat ( awful things), then I will look at a buying a new flight from there to BKK instead

Thanks

Reply to: Koh Lipe Trip Report - February 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted