We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi/Koh Lipe Visa Question - Transfer and Time Question

Catheys Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
81 reviews
46 helpful votes
Langkawi/Koh Lipe Visa Question - Transfer and Time Question

My wife and I are flying into Singapore for a few days and then onto Langkawi for an immediate transfer to Koh Lipe on the Ferry at Telga.

Question 1:

- Our flight from Singapore lands at Langkawi at 1215. The ferry from Telga leaves at 1430. Considering getting bags, going through immigration, taxi to ferry, is this plenty of time? If flight is on time, we will have 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Question 2:

- Visa for Malaysia. If coming from Singapore and into Longkawi (Malaysia) do they issue a transfer visa on arrival??? Is the process quick? I am USA passport, my wife is Chinese. I know for Koh Lipe it is visa on arrival for both of us, but at the Airport in Longkawi (Malaysia), it is quick and easy. I imagine you just show your tickets for onward travel to Koh Lipe Thailand and the process is quick. Just wanted some reassurance on this.

8 replies to this topic
Nice, France
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
23 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Langkawi/Koh Lipe Visa Question - Transfer and Time Question

1)

Normally no problem!

2)

Your wife and Malaysia: https:/…Visa_on_arrival

As a US passport holder you will get 30 days stay in Thailand and 90 days in Malaysia automatically. No cost.

Your wife will get Visa On Arrival (15 days) for Thailand at Lipe Immigration. Price 2000 THB.

Catheys Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
81 reviews
46 helpful votes
2. Re: Langkawi/Koh Lipe Visa Question - Transfer and Time Question

Thanks for info!!!!

Nice, France
Level Contributor
3,321 posts
23 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Langkawi/Koh Lipe Visa Question - Transfer and Time Question

If you don´t want to hassle with Malaysian Visa for your Wife you can skip Malaysia and take a Scoot flight from Singapore to Hat Yai in Thailand. There is a daily flight 13:25 with arr HDY 14:00 local time.

However, this means a nights stay in Pak Bara, the jetty from where speedboats to Lipe depart. This is as the last speedboat dep Pak Bara 15:30. First morning speedboat dep 9:30 and the ride at sea from Pak Bara is 1,5 hours.

It takes 2 hours by taxi to Pak Bara from the airport.

Your wife will have VOA (15 days stay) at HDY Airport.

Catheys Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
81 reviews
46 helpful votes
4. Re: Langkawi/Koh Lipe Visa Question - Transfer and Time Question

Yea, I actually did that.... I booked a flight to the HDY. But we decided we want to spend another night in Singapore (one day in Singapore is kinda stressful and rushing it), so I booked ANOTHER flight to Langkawi. The times are just crappy through the HDY and to Pak Bara. So I ate up the $100 USD or whatever it was for that hop. Too bad I didn't get a refundable ticket. Time is more precious here. We only have seven days for our trip. 2 full ones 2 nights in Singapore then 4 nights in Koh Lipe. I'm just crossing my fingers all the flights are on time and no issues with immigration. We're staying at the Ten Moons on Koh Lipe. Pretty stoked about it.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
17 reviews
69 helpful votes
5. Re: Langkawi/Koh Lipe Visa Question - Transfer and Time Question

Hi Ross, we are staying at Ten Moons 4th - 13th March, let me know what you think please.

We can’t wait!

Catheys Valley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
81 reviews
46 helpful votes
6. Re: Langkawi/Koh Lipe Visa Question - Transfer and Time Question

Definitely will see a review up in Tripadvisor. We're super excited. Place looks awesome.

australia
Level Contributor
888 posts
67 reviews
124 helpful votes
7. Re: Langkawi/Koh Lipe Visa Question - Transfer and Time Question

Not sure if you have already travelled ? You are supposed to check in at 1pm. If your flight is not delayed you should be fine. It said check in closed 1 hr prior. About 15 min from airport to talaga. We ordered a grab. Quick and easy.

We did this just a couple weeks ago . Just so you know it’s very time consuming. No problem at all but if like us they decide to drop you on another beach due to weather the process after getting to Koh Lipe took about 2 hrs.

It was quite funny. Dropped on a beach with nothing said. Lucky we had insect spray so keep some handy (had no problem any other time). We had to walk our luggage up a fair way and then it got put on trailer. Walked to other beach across the island. Where we got to usual immigration location. It took ages as they call you out by your passport individually. Funniest process but it works!

We loved the place so much we are planning to go back end of the year. We are looking at enterting through Trang to avoid that immigration process and rather have it at the airport. Hat Yai is on the do not travel zone so I won’t risk voiding my travel insurance.

Would do it again from Langkawi but just keep in mind it’s not quick even if we had have got off on the right beach.. it still would have taken time.

We stayed at tens moon and it’s great. That’s where we stayed. Nice property.

Edited: 7:31 am, January 06, 2019
Var
Level Contributor
368 posts
84 reviews
84 helpful votes
8. Re: Langkawi/Koh Lipe Visa Question - Transfer and Time Question

What you call not quick? I heard about 4 hours, denied by Lipee , here...... I honestly hate these immigration procedures.......You are tired, and not always easy to go through that......

Reply to: Langkawi/Koh Lipe Visa Question - Transfer and Time Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted