We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hechingen-Hohenz?

Which Hechingen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Hechingen-Hohenz?

Hello,

my husband and I are trying to assess the feasibility of visiting sites with some connection to his father's family, but we don't know a lot at this stage. My father in law would never talk about his family and things to my husband and in any case is now deceased. We would like to find out what we can about the family and pay respects to my husband's grandmothers grave. Of which we only have photos.

Anyway, as we understand it, he was from a town called Hechingen-hohenz. Having googled the location, it appears that this is near or synonymous with the town of Hechingen. Is this right or would Hechingen-hohenz be at quite a different location altogether?

Germany
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
37,126 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hechingen-Hohenz?

Hohenz. stands for Hohenzollern.

The name of the castle near Hechingen and the ancestral home of the Hohenzollern Family.

www.burg-hohenzollern.com/startpage.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Hohenzollern

Hohenzollern was also the name of the county and later province (till 1946) Hechingen was located.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenzollern-Hechingen

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Province_of_Hohenzollern

> and pay respects to my husband's grandmothers grave.

This will only work if his grandmother was Jewish. All other graves are cleared in Germany after 25 years or so.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hechingen-Hohenz?

Thankyou Abalada,

You're help is much appreciated.

Thanks for the tip re the grave I'm glad I mentioned a potential visit. Joe's mother died in 1989 so looks like we have just a small window of opportunity to visit it.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hechingen-Hohenz?

All graves in Germany are not cleared after 25 years, as there are many older ones in the part of Baden-Wuerttemberg where my wife's relatives are buried. You do have to pay to maintain them.

Make sure to visit the Hohenzollern Castle ( www.burg-hohenzollern.com ), and there is also a Roman farmhouse ruins just to the west.

Modern Bade-Wuerttemberg is a combination of Baden, Wuerttemberg, and the Prussian Hohenzollern lands. Many people that Prussia extended this far to the SW!!!!!

There's plenty to see nearby in this part of Germany ( www.baden-wuerttemberg.de ; www.tourismus-bw.de ; www.schloesser-magazin.de/en for the excellent castles, palaces, monasteries and gardens operated by this German state). Our favorite town to repeatedly visit in Germany is nearby, Tuebingen ( www.tuebingen.de ) with the delightful nextdoor well-preserved medieval Bebenhausen Monastery (in www.schloesser-magazin.de/en ), and my favorite part of Germany the Swabian Alb ( www.schwaebischealb.de ) begins there, mountains with lots of castles, caves and excellent cliffside scenery.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,057 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hechingen-Hohenz?

Thanks Marcopolko, It sounds like a very interesting area. I will enjoy having a look over the sites you have provided links for.

5. Re: Hechingen-Hohenz?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 04, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Hechingen