We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

information of Norfork Broads

Nagano, Japan
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
information of Norfork Broads

I often read the review site of TA to decide accommodation for my trip last year and it was very helpful. Now I’ve just known about this site of forum and I am thinking of getting some information which I had not been able to get in Japan before I made a trip. Although I do not know when I would be able to visit England, I would like to prepare for next time. If anyone would give me any information, I would appreciate it. I am not in a hurry.

My question is about Norfork Broad. Please forgive me my bad and long sentences.

I read an essay of having visit Norfork Broads written by Japanese woman who is one of Arthur Ransome fan. I was impressed by the scenery of the broad where she and her friend sailed a small motor-boat by themselves from Wroxham to Ranworth.

When I decided to make a trip last year, I eagerly wanted to go there and even enjoy sailing like her although I could not swim and had had only a little experience of rowing a boat. I consulted some guide books in Japanese about that district and I found that some books issued some 10years ago said about the area but books newly issued did not say any. I wondered if the area had changed because of some reasons such as environment problem and I gave up visiting.

question;

1.Dose that area around the broads and the River Bure keep beautiful scenery of its nature as ever ?

2.Can tourists take a boat cruising between Wroxham and around Honning, either operating a small motor boat by oneself or taking a tour boat ? Do you think it is worth to take cruising along the Broads yet ?

3. Can you stay at Swan Inn on the river at night ? Is there any accommodation else on the river and what is the public transportation to get there ?

4.Are there footpaths to stroll along the river or around the accommodation? I do not think I would be able to take heavy walking because of my age.

5. I imagine that the area must be full of wildlife and good for young people’s outdoor activities. If so, it might be hard for senior people like me to enjoy cruising and strolling around the broads. What do you think?

15 replies to this topic
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: information of Norfork Broads

Hello. and your english is excellent. Far better than our Japanese!

To answer your questions

1) The Norfolk Broads will not have changed much in 10 years. It is a national park and they do a lot of work to keep it beautiful.

2) Yes - there are organised tours or you can hire a small boat for the day. The boats are easy to use and they provide all safety equipment. The best way to see the Broads is by boat so that would be something you must do

3) Yes - the Swan Inn in Horning has accomodation. It is part of a national chain. Here is the web address

www.innkeeperslodge.com/lodgedetail.asp…

There is public transport but would need to know where you would be arriving at to advise more

4) Yes, lots of footpaths and they are generally very well maintained. The Norfolk Broads area is very flat and easy to walk around

5) Generally the Norfolk Broads is more popular with older people than younf people as it is flat and very easy to get around

I hope this helps and you get to have your trip. Please ask me if you have any more questions.

Teresa :)

Nagano, Japan
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: information of Norfork Broads

Thank you very much for your kind reply!

I am very happy to get good informations about Norfolk Broads but too busy to ask you some more questions now.

Please let me ask you again a few days later.

Nagano, Japan
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: information of Norfork Broads

Hello, Teresa. Thank you very much again for answering and encouraging me. How happy I was to find the good news about the broads! I would never miss visiting there next time probably in a few years. I will ask some more information in details here when it gets confirmed. But I want to draw a rough plan by then.

The followings are the plan I thought last year consulting the timetable by the website of National Rail. My husband and I would go there as a short trip during our stay in London. Would you give me any advice? Railway’s timetable is ok but I wonder if the rough schedule during the stay is realistic and efficient.

The first day;

1.Leaving at Liverpool Street sta. in the morning and arrive at Wroxham around noon.

2.Taking a taxi (or any public transport?) to the nearest pier and take a tour boat. Getting off the boat at a pier in Horning and from there walk to Swan Inn.

3.Getting information about boating at the Inn or somewhere nearby.

4.Taking a walk around as long as we have time.

The next day;

5.Hiring a boat and boating by ourselves in the morning.

6.Dropping by Ranworth.

7.Leaving Wroxham around p.m.4.

The questions are;

* I wonder if the entire plan is tight . If two days trip there is too short, three days trip could be on our trip.

*about2 I wonder if it is possible to take a tour boat as means of moving. I mean if we can carry our luggage on the boat and get off on the way of the tour course. If that would be possible, we want to move to our destination enjoying boating. Isn’t it efficient?

*about5 I think the distance between Wroxham and Ranworth might be good for us to enjoy boating by ourselves. But I wonder if half a day is enough. And in the case of staying at Swan Inn, where should I hire a boat and start boating and how to boat around ?

Or could you recommend any other better plans for boating there including accommodation or three days trip?

*about4and6 Besides boating I am interested in walking footpath. I am thinking to take a walk around Ranworth visiting a small church. Do you think it is worth to visit? If so how many hours we should take for that? And any other recommendations for short walking.

*7 Transport to Wroxham station from Swan Inn.

I am very sorry to bother you with so many questions in broken English again. I would really appriciate even one or two answers.

middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: information of Norfork Broads

Hi, your English is better than some English people!!

Let me try and help you a little. First of all, Wroxham is actually served by a station called "Hoveton and Wroxham" and you will have to change trains at Norwich station to get there. The station is close to the river and many hire boat places where you will easily get a boat for a few hours or a day. All these day boats have to be returned at the end of the day and do not generally have space for luggage. You will get to Malthouse Broad (next to ranworth Broad) very easily in a day from Wroxham. Ranworth Broad is a nature reserve and not open to the public, but you can moor at Ranworth dyke. Have a look at http://www.broadsnet.co.uk/html/ranworth.htm

You might consider basing yourself at Wroxham so on the second day go upriver to Coltishall at the head on navigation.

Nagano, Japan
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: information of Norfork Broads

Hi. Thank you very much for your helpful advice and introducing the nice site which is something I have been looking for! Those beautiful photos made me more excited and involved in reading the explanations, there are so many new words I have to look up in the dictionary though.

Yes,Wroxham&Hovton!! I remembered that I had struggled with consulting National Rail’s timetable when I had tried to get my destination.

I think I have got how to construct our trip there now. I would think more about after finishing looking up the site. Let me ask some questions then.

Thanks for Teresa and your compliments on my English...it seems exaggeration to me though.

I learned English mainly in books not in practical situations as most of old Japanese did. That's why many of Japanese are not good at speaking English despite long term of learning. So I do not have confidence in using it at all. I find that reading Q&A on this site is very useful for me to learn practical English as well as to get helpful information, although I don’t have enough time to read many of them.

Nagano, Japan
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: information of Norfork Broads

Hi, I need your help again,please.

Did you mean in your advice above that hiring a boat at wroxham, we could go down and up the river between there and Malthouse and stay at Wroxham on the first day, and go up to Coltishall on the second day? It sounds nice but I am little afraid of boating by ourselves from the beginning in the strange place. My husband has confidence in boating because he was a sportsman when he was young but his experience of boating is only rowing on the lake.

What do you think of taking an organized tour boat to the Malthouse on the first day ? On the second day we could hire the day boat to go down the river to Malthouse again and take a walk around Ranworth visiting the WildlifeCenter and the church. And then go up to Coltishal in the afternoon for a few hours. Isn’t it practical?

what part of the area would you recommend to take time most?

And any other convenient places to stay overnight?

These places introduced in the website look all wonderful and I have been wondering...

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: information of Norfork Broads

Hello

The journey time by boat from Wroxham to Coltishall is around 2 hours and it is also the same to Malthouse (Ranworth), but that is in the other direction. Therefore it would be about 4 hours to get from Wroxham to Malthouse and back so if you did not arrive until lunchtime on the first day you would not really have enough time to get there and back.

This link takes you to some information about day boats

broads-authority.gov.uk/broads/live/boating/…

I would take a short organised boat trip when you arrive (but won't be able to get as far as Malthouse) and then take a day boat out on the second day to Malthouse and have time for a look around. The day boats are very simple to use and it is not possible to get lost. They will give you instructions and there are strict speed limits so you will be fine.

If you could do another day you could go to Coltishall which has some very nice pubs. There are some nice places to say but probably best to search the hotels list on here.

I hope that helps - please let us know if you need any more information.

Kind regards, Teresa

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: information of Norfork Broads

The Broads authority website also has details of some boat trips

The other year I went on super trips on the electric boat Helen of Ranworth and on the solar powered Ra on Barton Broad. Both about an hour long and wonderful.

I'm sure you'll find details on the website given by the previous poster.

Gibel

Nagano, Japan
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: information of Norfork Broads

Hello, Teresa. Thank you very much for your advice again. The site is very helpful for planning and I am getting how to get around in Norfolk Broads. I have begun to think that we would take three days trip and relax boating on the broads without worrying about the train timetable on the second day. And on the first day we could relax on a trip boat.

Hi, Gibel. Thank you very much for telling your wonderful experiences. I saw the picture of beautiful Helen on the website. It sounds great taking a trip on such a nice boat. By the way it seems that each broad has each organized boat, doesn’t it? Did you move between the broads by boating?

I would like to ask one more question for the moment. About clothes and shoes. Is there any particular advice on what to wear for boating and walking around? Should I take care of what to wear for each case of taking train from London, having dinner, and doing day activities? Such a question might be ridiculous but it is a big problem for me when I travel in England.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: information of Norfork Broads

We moved around by car so I'm not too sure how accessible the boat trips are by public transport. I'll have a look around for some more information.

As for shoes I can't really help as I have AFOs (splints) on my lower legs and feet and find walking boots the easiest to wear or my special boots.

Gibel

Reply to: information of Norfork Broads
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Wroxham