We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ojochal area activities

London
Level Contributor
374 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Ojochal area activities

Hello,

We're spending 8 days in a rental villa in Ojochal over Christmas (only time this winter we could get away - I know it's not ideal travelling time!).

We want to spend time chilling out in our villa and on beaches, but also want to do some exploring - hiking and snorkelling in particular. But all the arranged group trips seem SO expensive - over $100 per person for a day trip. I don't mind spending that once or maybe twice (say for cano island), but is it necessary? Are there places to hike without a guide or group trip? Is there good snorkelling from the beaches of the Ballena marine park, or do we really need a boat snorkelling trip?

We're in our early 30s, no children, fairly independent, and would rather do our own thing if possible.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,514 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ojochal area activities

Any of the activities listed for Uvita or Dominical are also easily availablefrom Ojochal with a car. You can hike at Hacienda Baru just north of Dominical for $6/pp and we spotted quite a bit of wildlife without a guide. They also have a small zip tour with hilke for $35/pp. The beach at Baru is beautiful and deserted and worth checking out. You can snorkel off the beach at Ballena national park. You can also rent a kayak for a couple of hours at one of the restaurants there and explore on your own or better take an inexpensive kayak trip with Club Fred from $20-45/pp(www.clubfredcr.com/eng/sections/index/448). One great outing is a horseback ride to Nauyuca Waterfall which takes most of a day but it's expensive. Alternatively you could try a horseback ride at Rancho Merced for $45/pp (http://www.rancholamerced.com/#!). Because credit card fees are so high in Costa Rica you can often get a discount by paying with cash but this is best done in person before you pay for the activitiy.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ojochal area activities

You can also try to get in touch Thomas at TIKIVILLAS he is a local from UVITA and also he is a nice person from England...he knows the In and Out of that area...maybe a great person to talk to!

roadadvisor

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ojochal area activities

We just returned from this area. We rented an awesome villa through VRBO overlooking the Pacific Ocean and the jungle. You can arrange many of your own activities. You can do your own hiking in many areas if you want to. We did go on a Horseback riding tour- about 3 hours but they do have a longer trail if you want to go - that was awesome...it included horsebackriding with a guide who took us to an area above ojochal where we hiked down to a waterfall with natural pools. We swimmed and played in the pools for an hour then returned to the ranch and had a lovely Costa rica luncheon prepared by the owners wife. Cost was 35.00 per person for about 4 hours. I will email you their info if you like and you can make your arrangements directly. My husband and friend when ziplining...14 platforms ..at a cost of about 35.00. . We were on our own so we mostly ate at the many sodas located along the main highway. Our favorite was La Costa owned by Marvin. The food was fresh and reasonable and plentiful (average cost of our meals was about 6.-8.00) Less for snacks /appetizers/breakfast was about 4.00. UVITA is a short drive away (about 10 KM). We even visited a small town south of Ojochal...not a tourist area AT all...so the prices there in the little shops were really reasonable...You might want to visit to get a real feel Tico environment. Did you know that Panama is only about 2 hours south of Ojochal by car? we didn't go ..but was told by a local that they go there for shopping. We did not get to go snorkeling although I know it is available. I got the impression that snorkeling was not particularly good at the time due to visibility.

We had an awesome time doing things at our own pace....You can visit many of the beaches along the way but although beautiful and great to walk along...don't expect the type of beach where you spread your towel to lay out and catch some rays. The three beaches we visitied were great for hiking on...we got fresh coconuts to snack on in the evenings when relaxing at our villa..yumm,,, littered the paths to the beaches.

London
Level Contributor
374 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ojochal area activities

Brilliant ideas everyone - thank you so much! I had been getting a bit worried about this because of the cost of excursions but feeling much more relaxed about it now.

Our villa rental is also through VRBO - looks good in the pictures so fingers crossed!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ojochal area activities

I did want to warn you...Make sure that your car rental is a four wheel drive. Our villa would have not been completely reachable had we not rented a four wheel. It was located at the end of about a one and half mile unpaved curvaceous , rutted road...that was actually adventurous to say the least. Are you by any chance renting Karen's villa? If so..you will not be disappointed.

London
Level Contributor
374 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ojochal area activities

Yes, we are! Fantastic to have your positive feedback :)

Had already picked up that we will need a 4wd. Did you drive to the villa from san jose? If so how was the drive?

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ojochal area activities

For tours as mntioned all that go out of Uvita about 20 min South will work, here is an article on things to do: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g635755-s4/Uvita:Cost…

Perla Del Sur is based out of Sierpe and about 30 min from Ojochal have some grate tours

Ottawa, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ojochal area activities

Hi Debbie,

I have been to the area twice and yes the snorkelling is great at Ballena Beach. You don't need a guide, as long as you have your gear you should be fine on your own. The outer reef islands provide shelter from the waves and the extensive stretch of beach will more than satisfy you...

I did the boat tour to Cano Island last time and found it very nice but a little too far from the beach on the boat.

I will be there around the Christmas holidays as well and plan on spending most of my time snorkeling, so maybe we will bump into each other on the beach!

Pura Vida Amiga!

Ottawa, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ojochal area activities

From San Jose to Ojochal is 3 hours on the new road...4 hours if you stop here and there for the amenities.

You actually no longer need a 4 wheel drive vehicle as the entire drive from the airport in San Jose to Bellena is on newly paved roads...

If you plan on going into the mountains you may want a 4 WD but if you are beaching it, it is not necessary.

Hope that helps.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,653 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ojochal area activities

Thank you Thomas...coming from you any advice about that part of the country is great ...since you and your great family lives there...all year long!

roadadvisor