We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

The price to fly or take a private transfer from SJO to Ojochal is about the same. Looking for your thoughts as to which is preferred---should we take the quickest route (fly), or would a private transfer be worth the time, seeing lots of beautiful scenary???

Thanks for your comments!!!!

14 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,448 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

Of course flying is always nice and fast...but driving you will see a lot of our great country...if you do not have to drive that route every other day...maybe once in a life time it is worth it!!

roadadvisor

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
120 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

Roadadvisor, anything we should ask our driver to drive through/stop at on the way??

Castlegar
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

We just returned after 2 amazing weeks in Ojachal area. we did the private shuttle down and flew out of Quepos to return. My only issue with the shuttle was our flight got in at 3pm so it was dark when we arrived in Ojachal and finding our rental house was a bit of a nightmare. we had rented a car and picked it up next morning. at the end of our trip we dropped the car at the airport and flew to San Jose.

We drove all over the place, Palmur Sur, San Isidro and Manuel Antonia and never had an issue.

P.S dont miss chicken florentine at Boca Coronada. say heh to Luis for us.

Pura Vida !

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

I would fly there as it would be a lot faster to get there to enjoy the area, as you mentioned it costs about the same.

Edited: 11:29 am, January 23, 2012
Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

You will find a rent a car in Ojochal very useful as everything is spread out and most local atractions involve driving or taking a taxi that can add up so you can either rent one and drive yourself or rent one once you are there.

Palmar Sur Airport is about 30 min or $40 by taxi to Ojochal, Quepos Airport is 1 1/2 hours and $100 taxi to Ojochal.

If you fly take into account the transfer and waiting time, if you use Nature Air take into account you have to travel from San Jose Intl to Pavas Domestic.

Driving is about 4 to 4 1/2 hours and you get to see a lot of Costa Rica. Its a personal choice.

Canada
Level Contributor
179 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

Having driven this route several times myself, I would recommend flying, as it will get you there more quickly. Also, roads in Costa Rica are, for the most part, very twisty and in some places can be a little bumpy as well, though many of the highways have been redone in the past decade and are much better maintained now. If anyone in your party gets carsick, keep this in mind, and have Gravol on hand.

If you decide to go with a private transfer, be sure to leave early, as you'll likely take the route that passes over Cerro de la Muerte, which gets very foggy in the afternoon. The scenery in Costa Rica is beautiful, but I would recommend doing more exploring in the area of Ojochal, maybe considering visiting some of the beaches north of the area (Uvita, Dominical), or even Bahia Drake or Puerto Jimenez for a day.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

The road from SJO Airport is the new two lane highway (Caldera) all the way to the coast and a smooth drive all the way to Ojochal down the coastal Road. About 4 hours driving.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,448 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

Great way to go by road 27...incredible nice all the way...drove around there yesterday...stop at Tarcoles river bridge...and keep your eyes open from Tarcoles to Bejuco beach...good cnaces to see green macaws and red macaws...

Thank you for asking!

roadadvisor

Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
59 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

Both Nature Air and Sansa fly that route. As a commercial pilot, I am familiar with their planes and they are good types. I would say fly fly fly! I am a little biased however. All their planes are big enough that the pilots are required to have a type rating which specific training on that specific aircraft.

Here in the USA flying a commercial airline is statistically safer than driving!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???

We priced out the various options our first time a few years ago. Driving came out the cheapest - even renting an SUV. The first two years were rough since we had to take the road through the mountains to get down to the Ojochal area. However, the new road is much, much faster and completely paved. It's not nearly as twisty and scary as the mountain road. It's also not nearly as pretty of a drive. It's about 3.5-4 hours depending on traffic and whatnot from San Jose. Then you have the SUV and can get around. The area is very remote and over developed which means that there are no US style resorts that have everything you need on them. You have to drive (somehow) to everything. Many things aren't accessible without an SUV.

Reply to: Fly or Private Transfer San Jose to Ojochal???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted