We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rubbish in balestrate

wexford
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
rubbish in balestrate

Hi

Just returned from a week in Balestrate and I have never visited any area that is so full of rubbish .It is everywhere ,the beach to the right of the marina is a disgrace and the roadways throught out the town on pathways to beaches were horrible .The dustbins outside our apartment were overflowing for the week we were there .I was just wondering has anyone experienced this or were we just unlucky .

I cannot understand why the agencies involved in tourism in the town and also the hotels would not get together and even employ some people to get some kind of a grip on the problem .Would I return to Balestrate?,never ,apartment was lovely but the whole area just left a very bad feeling of neglect and dirt ,does nobody who lives in the town and hope to encourage tourists not notice??

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rubbish in balestrate

It is a souther Italian, maybe souther European, thing, I have seen it in Northern Cyprus too (though not in southern Spain). However the rubbish we saw on Sicily was the worst ever, my husband isn't keen on returning to Italy ever again, I think I persuaded him Rome upwards should be ok! it is a complete disgrace and I believe caused by corruption. The countryside in the main is lovely, though there is a ribbon of junked plastic bottles at the roadside, but the towns and cities, or the parts where the main roads go through, are horrendous. One place we passed through (the road we were travellilng on was closed and we had to divert) was full of the stuff and people were burning it. It was probably one of the most squalid sights I have seen. There is definitely a flip side to Sicily, be warned...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,213 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: rubbish in balestrate

There has always been a problem with corruption, but the situation has worsened – It had been limited to certain areas, but the problem is spreading everywhere, and unfortunately this situation is prevalent in Southern Italy.

A Tour of Contrasts in Sicily – The Litter Scourge:

…italian-connection.com/living-in-italy/a-to…

Just returned from Sicily , we were shocked!:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187892-i344-k5772…

Keeping Sicily Clean:

http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art309.htm

Vagabonda

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,097 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rubbish in balestrate

Myabe the situation is worst now than in 2010 when we were in western Sicliy for 2 weeks. Maybe it's because we were there in the off-season, but it didn't seem bad. No worst than Rome

The beach in Castellammare is supposed to be dirty . This is what it looked like. Dirty but not "squalid".

www.slowphotos.com/photo/showphoto.php…

Thje rest of Castellammare was nice

the park was clean

A29 and A29dir adn SS115 did not look dirty

shore near Marsala didn't have garbage on it

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
104,213 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rubbish in balestrate

Unfortunately the situation is worse, and the bankrupt economy doesn't help, but that's not to say the economy isn't bankrupt also because of the corruption.

How can Sicily cut the bloated budget that is dragging it down?:

guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/jul/19/sic…

Vagabonda

modica
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rubbish in balestrate

The rubbish problem in all of southern Italy is not solely due to corruption. You have underfunded communes, who cannot pay their bin men, because central govt doest pay the commune. You have comunes who cannot find the money for legal essentials (like school buses, invalid care), and therefore having a recycling system or rubbish system that works comes further down the list. You have comunes full of properties that don't pay their local taxes, and then you have the people themselves who have no sense of civic responsibilty. I dont mean this in a pejorative way, but its a historical truth. The mentality is 'people are paid to pick up rubbish - its their job'. ergo - its not my job. There is no public education - that more fires are started from empty plastic water bottles than cigaretttes for example, There is only rubbish, chucked by the side of the road, because the comunes do not provide disposal facilities. The guilty are not fined, so continue to do it. And then there is crime.

It is a shame that your experience of Sicily was so coloured by seeing some rubbish. Personally I accept seeing the rubbish, because SIcily is a fascinating, historical and mutli layered place - it is so much more than bin liners and water bottles. If you learn the history of the place you can understand the problems Sicily has, and personally I would prefer the rubbish to the squeaky, unreal cleanness of a Disney suburb.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rubbish in balestrate

<<personally I would prefer the rubbish to the squeaky, unreal cleanness of a Disney suburb>>.

Can't agree with you there, I'm afraid. Apart from the eyesore of rubbish there is the health hazard as well, especially in a hot place like Sicily.

It's very hard for an outsider to understand the mentality you talk about. If I, as a hypothetical inhabitant, see that the local authorities are not clearing away the rubbish, then I don't throw it out. Or I take it myself to the council dump. Simple.

Overall you paint a depressing picture of Sicily which won't encourage people to visit.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rubbish in balestrate

Having visited Campania I expected to see some rubbish lying around, but was not prepared for some of the sights I saw. To me it is a sign of an uncivilised country and compared to the majority of the sights and sites I saw on Sicily a real shame and if tourism is developing will become a big issue that needs to be addressed. There are still a lot of things I want to see on Sicily, but I know my husband won't return.

modica
Level Contributor
1,978 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rubbish in balestrate

There are few parallels between Campania and Sicily, certainly regarding waste disposal. Council dump? Where? It is precisely because there are not the facilities that there is the fly tipping problem. There is a huge problem with rubbish disposal sites in the whole of Italy. I agree wholeheartedly that it is a problem and unsightly but find it difficult to understand why you would not visit a place because of it.

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rubbish in balestrate

"I cannot understand why the agencies involved in tourism in the town and also the hotels would not get together and even employ some people to get some kind of a grip on the problem "

Well, some shops and B&B tried this in Palermo...and you know what? It is forbidden!! :-) they were fined for "unauthorized garbage collect"! You can hire a single person to clean the footpath in front of your shop/house, no more than this...a big lack of logic unfortunately.

The whole area around Palermo airport had a serious garbage issue in the last 2 years, much worse than other areas. It's the same around Capaci, Carini, Villagrazia, Bioparco Carini, Terrasini, Balestrate and so forth...

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: rubbish in balestrate

Re #8 <<I.......find it difficult to understand why you would not visit a place because of it.>>

For me that is an amazing statement to make. Sorry! If I had been the OP I'd have got the first plane out.