We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

Which Taos Ski Valley hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

We're staying at Snakedance Condos to ski for a week in January. We won't have a car and I can't find any info on transportation to/from the town of Taos in the evenings for dinner.

13 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

Possibly this shuttle service. www.taosshuttle.com

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

Yikes--it would cost over $25 each way for the two if us!! This is the first place we've skied without a free shuttle between town and mountain. I guess the town of Taos doesn't want skiers' money.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,303 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

The Chile Line runs back and forth but it's meant more to get people from Taos to the slopes. It's about a 30 minute drive between the two and the town of Taos has much more going on in the evenings, but without a car you're stuck.

Here's the Chile Line schedule:

taosgov.com/transportation/…202011-2012N.pdf

Taos and the Ski Valley exist apart from each other more so than many ski areas.

Edited: 8:38 pm, November 29, 2011
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

I really don't think it is an effort to not help skiers. Public transportation all over Northern NM is not the greatest and very few options! There is no shuttle from Santa Fe to Ski Santa Fe either.

The skiing will be awesome!

How are you getting to Taos? Any chance you can rent a car? Maybe for a couple of days while in Taos in order to visit town?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

We're travelling with a group; a charter bus will take us to TSV from the Albequerque airport.

I haven't looked into renting a car because I think that would be a very expensive way to get into Taos for dinner. We'll be skiing all day avery day.

I checked out the Chile Line; they don't run in the evening.

Well, I guess we've learned the hard way to ask more questions before we book a ski trip. There are very few restaurants (and even fewer I'd want to eat at) in TSV. Our bad.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

Skiing Taos is about the skiing, you will have an incredible time. Maybe one night get the Taos Express to head to town.

Stray Dog Cantina - Northern New Mexican http://straydogtsv.com/

Bavarian - Tuesday Fondue menu sounds awesome! www.thebavarian.com/bavarian_restaurant.php

Historic Hondo Restaurant at SnakeDance

Rhoda's http://taoswebb.com/menu/rhodas.html

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

For us, every ski trip is about the skiing. We like to be on the hill from 9-4, for six days--but we do expect to eat dinner every evening.

Tha Bavarian isn't even remotely appealing. The last thing I want after a day of skiing is heavy, high fat food.

We're staying at Snakedance; I can't find a menu on their website.

The Stray Dog Cantina and Rhoda's are possibilities, but I'm certainly not looking forward to eating at the same two restaurants for a week!

I couldn't find the dchedule details on the Taos Express website--what am I missing.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

I made an error it is the Taos Shuttle that does the on call like a taxi. I is available 24 hrs a day, so you just need to call and make a reservation.

http://www.taosshuttle.com/

I hope one of the local experts will chime in

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

IMHO, for Taos it would be better not to take a charter but instead rent a car to be able to easily access Taos from the ski valley. We're at our cabin on the high road to Taos & the good news is that we have been getting snow with TSV having its best opening in years. Perhaps you could take the Chili Line down to town & then just pay for the shuttle back to TSV. Maybe you could get a group from your tour to go down to town & cut a deal with the shuttle company. Have fun!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos

We have already signed up and paid for this group trip; renting a car really isn't an option at this point.

I have emailed the trip leader and I hope that he will make arrangements for a bus at least a couple of evenings.

Reply to: transportation between Taos Ski Valley & town of Taos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Taos Ski Valley