We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hailuogou Glacier

singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Hailuogou Glacier

Hi everyone, Can you tell me whether the Hailuogou glacier is open? I have heard that it is closed but not sure when it will be opened?

5 replies to this topic
Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hailuogou Glacier

Hi there "tour birds",

The glacier itself is open, however given some of the road damage after the 4-20 Ya'an earthquake the time t get there will take longer. Difficult to predict.

Where will you be coming from? Chengdu?

Having been to the glacier, it is massive. I personally went on a weekend trip a few years ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions or comments.

Edited: 2:45 am, May 08, 2013
singapore
Level Contributor
21 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hailuogou Glacier

Hi Harley

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think I will be spending 2 days at the Galcier. Maybe just 1 day.

Did you camp inside the Galcier? I guess it will be cold?

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hailuogou Glacier

You are welcome.

I think 1 day should be enough time. I did not take the cable car to the top, but rather walked around on the lower portion of the snow fields. About camping I can't really advise for that, we stayed in a hotel within the park. I do believe that any places marked for camping are really just hotels and other paid accommodation.

I did not find it very cold when we went which was around May or June in 2009. (wow time flies)

Please let me know if need more help.

Cheers

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
62 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hailuogou Glacier

Hi tour-birds, I guided a family to Hailuogou two weeks ago. It was open and I think it is still open.

It was foggy when we visited this place. As Harley suggests you can walk to the glaciers but if you take the cable car, you may spot the peak of Minya Konka if weaher is good. We took both.

If it is one day you can stay at Moxi, a small town at the bottom(entrance) where you have more options on hotels and food. It is not too cold, I believe it was around 5 Celsius on the mountain, but it is cold at night, maybe around 0. And it rains a lot in that place. Hope this is helpful.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hailuogou Glacier

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about going to Hailuogou from Ya'an.

Is it possible to hire a taxi from ya'an to Hailuogou ? How much will it be ? How long does it take to drive by taxi?

Please also suggest some good budget accommodations at Ya'an and Hailuogou.

Thank you

Pradeep

Reply to: Hailuogou Glacier
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Ya'an
More Ya'an Topics