We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake

Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake

Can anyone advise me re this trek please. What footwear would I need ? Do I need to bring hiking boots ( not planning on bringing them unless necessary) . Also, are there arrangements for backpacks- or do I carry mine for the 3 days ?. Would appreciate any advise.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
10 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake

Hi,

thanks for your lovely tips. could you please give us mo moe's contact details? also how much did the trip cost? cheers

Bagan, Myanmar
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: 3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake

Hello All,

I just returned from 11 days in Myanmar and did the 2-day trek from Kalaw to Inle with Ever Smile. I booked with them because of all the amazing comments from this site. I'd love to say the trek was as great as all of you described, but it was actually a disappointment. Even though Thu Thu (and her amazing daughter) arranged the trip for us, it was her brother, Ye, who was our guide. Ye spoke little English and while he "led" the way (i.e. we didn't get lost), he did little more. Never talked with us about the surroundings or people; in fact, walked ahead of us the entire time, talking with the cook, who spoke no English. The food was passable -- but not great. Then, after staying in a village one night, Ye asked us to "donate" 2,000 kyats EACH to the family. Of course, we refused, since payment of the trip was to include accommodations. We suspect he was going to pocket the money. I have written an email to Thu Thu to give her my feedback and hopefully she'll use it to improve services.

My conclusion: it's less about the company with whom you book and more about which guide you get. I don't know what to tell you there, except to do your research (and, hopefully, meet your guide before you buy).

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: 3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake

Hi

I did the trek from Kalaw to Inle with Toe Toe, and I'm sorry but it looks like things have changed in the last year or so... I chose to do the trek with Ever Smile after having read the advice on this post, but in the end it wasn't such a good choice at all.

When we booked she mentioned that the group would be 4 to 5 people max. That was at 5 in the afternoon the day before we left. When we arrived at her office the next day to start the trek, we weren't 4 but 9 people to go!! And she had given the same speech to everyone of us!

We then started the trek, but she said she felt too tired to do the trek, so sent her own daughter as a guide, a child of 15! The girl turned out to be quite nice to start with, but then became really bored with the trip, and invited her friends along, who eventually took the mattresses that were supposed to be for us during the night in the monastery!

So I would say the trek is nice, and worth doing, but I would recommend to leave from Inle to arrive in Kalaw, and also to avoid Toe Toe who has become way too much of a business lady.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake

Hi guys, some great feedback on this trek thank you.

My husband & I are looking to do the 3d hike in about 2 weeks time, wanting something not too touristy: local & cheap and cheerful, off the beaten track. Any suggestions? And if anyone has contact numbers that would be appreciated!

Cheers!

25. Re: 3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:00 pm, April 14, 2014
Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake

hi timur007 - do you have a contact for MoeMoe? Sounds wonderful

27. Re: 3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:14 am, January 20, 2014
28. Re: 3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake

New York
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: 3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake

The hiking in not challenging. Locals wear sandals, but can be very, very cold at night. Remember Kalaw is over 4,000 ft above sea level. At one local said, "we get ice here". If you are hiking and do a home stay the house may be made of woven palm leaves.

30. Re: 3 day trek from Kalaw to Inle Lake