We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Chiang Kong to Chiang Mai

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Topic
Bus from Chiang Kong to Chiang Mai

Hi,

1. I was wondering if there is a bus from Chiang Kong to Chiang Mai. I keep seeing information coming from Chiang Mai. Any information about it would help. Times/website/etc.

2. Also, does the border close coming from Laos and entering Thailand? I've read that the Laos side closes but I haven't been able to verify if the Thai does or if I need to let Laos know I am leaving. If so, can you tell me what time they close/open?

Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Chiang Kong to Chiang Mai

Hi,

There are several options from Chiang Khong to Chiang Mai. The green bus 1st class service leaves Chiang Khong at 9am, takes 7 hours, there is also a ordinary class bus that leaves at 6pm. You can also take one of the hourly local buses to Chiang Rai - 2 hours - and connect to one of the 18 green bus departures to Chiang Mai, 3-4 hours depending on the class of bus. Lastly, you can take a minibus which goes direct in 5-6 hours and they leave at 10.30am, 4.30pm and 6.30pm.

I'm not 100% sure on the border question but I think they close when the Lao one does.

Cheers

San Diego...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Chiang Kong to Chiang Mai

Thank you very much for the information. Very helpful!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Chiang Kong to Chiang Mai

Anybody any advice on whether best to get the 1st class public bus or a minibus to chiang khong

thanks

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Chiang Kong to Chiang Mai

elsiebow:

You might want to place Chiang Rai forum as it has more traffic than the Chiang Khong forum and you may receive more replies.

Broder

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus from Chiang Kong to Chiang Mai

Hi,

I prefer the bus. The seats are comfortable, it's not usually full, at least not all the way to Chiang Khong and it makes frequent stops. The minivans are quicker by an hour or so but they can be uncomfortably full and I find them less pleasant for long trips.

Cheers

Valencian Country...
Level Contributor
2 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus from Chiang Kong to Chiang Mai

Hello, do you know the companyia of the minibus? Os the place wherebit leaves? Thanks

Reply to: Bus from Chiang Kong to Chiang Mai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted