We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety of Mismaloya

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Safety of Mismaloya

My teenage daughter is traveling there and I see there is a US Dept of State warning for Jalisco. Please tell me if anyone knows of any current safety concerns or issues.

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety of Mismaloya

Definitely no danger in Mismaloya, so no need to be nervous. Mismaloya is a sleepy town that combines one uspscale resort and several beautiful exclusive villas, with some lovely, humble local families and hard-working fishermen. The warnings for Jalisco and Nayarit are not in reference to the greater Puerto Vallarta area, Your daughter should take care to be aware of her surroundings, just as she should at home...

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety of Mismaloya

Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your reply. What about the actual city of Puerto Vallerta and the clubs in that area? The teenagers go into town and go out late to clubs in that area. Other than the normal precautions that should be taken in any clubs, have you heard anything about danger there?

illinois
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety of Mismaloya

Mismaloya is fine. We were there two weeks ago and will be back there on Monday in PV (2-13-12) This is our 5th trip since Dec. 5th. Have fun. JR

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety of Mismaloya

Same as any other night life, although I would say PV is a much safer place to be than any of the cities in the US I can think of. Most of the nightclubs are along the Malecon, which is a small, busy, well lit area. If they stick to that area, they should be fine. May I ask the age of your daughter and who else she will be traveling with? I would imagine the biggest danger being that someone drinks too much. They will require ID to get into the clubs proving that they are 18 years or older.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety of Mismaloya

... Is it really necessary for teenagers to travel to international hotspots to party? Are there not enough beaches in the southern states to amuse our teens? The Mexican authorities have enough on their plate without having to deal with teenagers from US or Canada. I find it Interesting you are trusting the word of a stranger to suggest the area is safe for your teenager. I've travelled Mexico, including Banderous Bay/Puerto Vallarta and beyond. It's a gorgeous setting for a person (of any age) whose degree of maturity is balanced by life's experience. Will your teenager recognize the devil staring them in the face? Are you prepared to support this happening? If this is so, then it's safe to go. If not, stand your ground. We did and our kids waited until their 20's and are wiser for it. good luck!

Tsawwassen, Canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety of Mismaloya

Having been to PV many times I can tell you that its very safe, as safe as any other city as long as your daughter conducts herself accordingly. As with anywhere else, if she goes looking for trouble she will find it. If she acts responsibily she wont have any problems.

California
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety of Mismaloya

Gypsydaughter is spot on. If your daughter is responsible and makes good decisions, she will have a wonderful visit. We have traveled to PV area including Mismaloya and Bucerias 7 times over the past 5 years and never ever had any thing concerning. In fact we find the people in the area to be extremely honest. (had a cab driver return a $300 pair of sun glasses my husband left in the cab).

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety of Mismaloya

I have been coming to the greater Puerto Vallarta area for two thirds of my 78 years. It is very beautiful, and VERY safe. Mexicans are kind, industrious, and respectful of their foreign guests. Oh that the opposite were also true. Many visitors take the line that the sole purpose of life for Mexicans is to serve them. With a smile!

In fact this is pretty much exactly what happens, as the economy of this area has over the years become increasingly dependent on tourism. It is alarming to see this year how deeply the world-wide economic woes have carved their way into the shops and restaurants which were thriving only last year.

By all means vacation in this glorious spot, but treat your Mexican hosts as you would like to be treated yourself, and don't go looking for trouble. In all my years here I have never experienced trouble, but if one looks hard enough for it, it is likely to be there.

Faithful and grateful visitor.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety of Mismaloya

Message has been posted

SoCal
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety of Mismaloya

Here is the only mention of Jalisco in the advisory, which only concerns the northern border areas of the state which obviously Mismaloya is nowhere near.

"Jalisco: You should defer non-essential travel to areas of the state that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas. You should also exercise caution when traveling at night outside of cities in the remaining portions of this state. The security situation along the Michoacán and Zacatecas borders continues to be unstable and gun battles between criminal groups and authorities occur. Concerns include roadblocks placed by individuals posing as police or military personnel and recent gun battles between rival TCOs involving automatic weapons."

I believe TA is mistaken having the banner on the Mismaloya forum, and have emailed them requesting they look into it.

Get answers to your questions about Mismaloya
Recent Conversations