We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long-term stay in Brasilito

Ontario
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Long-term stay in Brasilito

My husband, two elementary school aged children, and I are considering a 4 - 5 month stay in Costa Rica. We are attracted to Brasilito, which we have never visited (though we once lived in San Jose and visited Tamarindo and Samara a few times). We like what we have read about the local flavour of Brasilito, but we have a few questions.

First of all, what is the best way to find a home to rent for a family of four for the duration I mentioned? There are many websites for long-term rental, but I suspect the properties listed are overpriced, and there may be a better way to go about this.

Secondly, we are thinking of sending our children to school in Brasilito and would love to hear some opinions from people who know the area well. What grade does the local grammar school go up to? My children do not speak Spanish and are Canadian citizens, so I wonder if their enrollment for a few months would be allowed. We would love it if they learned Spanish, and this would be one way of going about that. Our other option is Country Day School in Brasilito, and it clearly has its advantages in terms of keeping up with the curriculum they'd be missing in Canada, as well as good facilities; however, it is extremely expensive and perhaps would not offer that same local flavour. Any insights would be appreciated.

Finally, my twelve-year old son loves tennis and we are wondering where they might be tennis courts in Brasilito. On google earth we can see that there is a court at the Westin, but there is another that is close to two buildings and a pool, and we are wondering whether that is in a condo development.

Our timing for this stay would be February to June, 2015. Again, any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long-term stay in Brasilito

I recommend that you reconsider your choice for a long-term stay with children. Brasilito is a tiny village, really. I think it would be much better for everyone if you consider Samara instead.

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long-term stay in Brasilito

If you do go with Brasilito (or surrounding towns), you have another fantastic school option, which is the La Paz School www.lapazschool.org In my opinion, if keeping up with schooling is your concern, that it your best bet. In between Brasilito and Flamingo is a development called Mar Vista (where the new La Paz campus is, coincidentally). The Mar Vista Clubhouse has a pool, restaurant and tennis court. There is a former tennis pro who is a La Paz parent who also gives lessons there, I believe. Unlike the Westin, anyone can go to the Club at Mar Vista.

Check out the Facebook page Tamarindo garage sale for info on the larger area, including Brasilito, and as a way to make connections, including finding rentals: https:/…

If you're less concerned about academics and tennis, I agree with Hattie that Samara is a good choice.

Ontario
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long-term stay in Brasilito

Thank you for your input, but may I ask why you recommend Samara? I stayed there once and it is beautiful, but I don't remember the village very well. Why would it be a better option for a family?

Thanks again!

4. Re: Long-term stay in Brasilito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:24 pm, January 26, 2014

5. Re: Long-term stay in Brasilito

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:24 pm, January 26, 2014

Ontario
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long-term stay in Brasilito

Thank you for the info! I have looked at the La Paz website and it looks great, but the cost is still a bit of a concern. I will check out the website you mentioned and am grateful for the information about the tennis opportunities. I am curious about the suggestion that Samara would be more suitable to a family than Brasilito. Would you mind elaborating on that?

Many thanks!

Liberia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
52 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long-term stay in Brasilito

La Paz has made a concerted effort to include guanacastecidad in their school culture and to invite the community in, for example they just hosted the debate for an upcoming local election. It is not your stereotypical international school that is isolated from the surrounding community.

As for Samara vs Brasilito, that is quite subjective and I don't want to offend anyone. I will say that the greater Tamarindo area (la costa norte de Santa Cruz) strikes me at times as a disconnected string of different towns, while Samara has a more centralized, homey feel to me. Of course, the good thing about Brasilito and surrounding towns is that each has its own feel and flavor. So, you might click with the lifestyle in Brasilito, or Potrero, Flamingo, Matapalo, Danta, Huacas, whichever surrounding town. If you get there and don't like Brasilito, you can try out Playa Grande nearby, for example.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,094 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long-term stay in Brasilito

this is the place for spanish in the area http://www.cpi-edu.com/flamingo.htm

Becky is the lady of the properties in the area http://bluewaterpropertiesofcostarica.com/

and yes , Hattie is right, maybe a little small Brasilito

make sure to set aside a couple of days for Rincon de la vieja Volcano

Ontario
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long-term stay in Brasilito

Thank you, jose b. I appreciate your help.

Reply to: Long-term stay in Brasilito
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted