We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 weekday or 2 weekend nights

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,782 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
1 weekday or 2 weekend nights

Looking at lodging for our stay second week of Sept in the Door county and I had planned to stay 1 night Friday night. However there are 2 night minimums everywhere I've looked so far. (If you know somewhere that might not require that I'd be grateful if you'd let me know).

So I could do major reconstruction of our plans and either stay 1 night during the week - when I'm thinking it might be less crowded.

OR 2 nights on the weekend.

Either way we won't get more time as the daytime hours would actually be about the same (maybe a few hours more with the two night).

I know it will be too fast, but I have decided to at least try to see a little bit.

So which one would you do if it were you? :-)

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 weekday or 2 weekend nights

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g59881-i3993-k4719…

Madison
Destination Expert
for Madison
Level Contributor
934 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 weekday or 2 weekend nights

Where will you be driving from and to before and after Door County? If the Packers are NOT at home that weekend, you could stay in Green Bay, Dyckesville, or yes, even Sturgeon Bay and fit in quite a bit before dark. The Packer fans take up a LOT of hotel rooms for miles around, though, so check that out first.

http://www.packers.com/gameday/schedule.html

It's the same in Madison. If there is a Big 10 home football game, the rooms that ARE available will be much higher in price than usual, or will have a 2-night hotel minimum.

I would check it out, reserve 2 nights if you need to, and then call and check right before the cancellation deadline to see if there is a single night available anywhere at the last minute, as sailing fan wisely advises.

AND September is better than both August and October, so don't let the traffic reports in the link frighten you off!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,782 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 weekday or 2 weekend nights

Thank both for your replies. I've been reading past posts but hadn't gotten back as far as the one you linked to Rick and it was very informative.

I hadn't thought that a Packers game on Sunday would affect availability on a Friday in Fish Creek, but I suppose that is a possibility if people decide to make a weekend out of it. It is good to be reminded that games will affect traffic and lodging and eating etc.

So I'll think about it some more, but I think at this point it looks like a middle of the week visit will be best.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 weekday or 2 weekend nights

Kbc, did you actually call the places or just use the websites. I've found when I talk to the owners there's sometimes more flexibility. On that note, I've previously found Somerset Inn and Suites to be more flexible and accommodating. I'm surprised this is happening in September, I've usually found that in October.

Another suggestion is that we've always found that a two night stay feels like a vacation, one night like just a quick stop.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,782 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 weekday or 2 weekend nights

Thank you FTG.... just using web reservations. I'm sure this far in advance they are still waiting for that two day stay. Maybe if we went checked last minute it would be more of an option.

AHHH You did it!! Checked while I was writing the response and Somerset is not asking a two day stay for their rooms!!!!! Yeah! I don't have to rearrange the plan again. Thank you thank you thank you!! :-)

The hotels in Sturgeon Bay didn't have the restriction, but that just didn't sound like what I wanted to experience in a short stay. I appreciate your thoughts on one or two nights. I would love to stay two nights, Door County sounds like my kind of place... well all of Wisconsin does. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of it.

And Peninsula Players are doing Always Patsy !! Another of my favorites, I think our plans for the evening are set.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,184 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 weekday or 2 weekend nights

I'm glad I could help. We've stayed at about 5 places in DC, mainly at Egg Harbor at Newport Resort, but when our now current son-in-law proposed to our daughter, he wanted the families up there to surprise her. Somerset was willing to give us a shorter stay. It's not as fancy as other places, but they have both an indoor and outdoor pool, is a good location, it's really more of Sister Bay than Fish Creek. They have new owners as of last year, but she was a previous manager at Eagle Harbor Inn, a very good B&B etc. in Fish Creek and they are just terrific.

I always suggest staying further north than Sturgeon. We'll have our own two night stay because of a family wedding there next month, but we'll use it as a base to see more of the Door while there. We'll enjoy the wedding but it's nice to be able to make it into a mini-vacation,

7. Re: 1 weekday or 2 weekend nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Door County