We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

smoked fish?

London, United...
Level Contributor
183 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
smoked fish?

what are the best places to purchase smoked fish (chubbs, whitefish, salmon, in particular) in door county? we want to purchase some and bring them home to enjoy with friends

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: smoked fish?

Try Charlie's Smokehouse in Gills Rock for pacific and atlantic salmon and whitefish. The pacific salmon at about $7 a pound is delicious and a terrific value.

Charlie's no longer sells smoked chubs; I don't think they can be commercially fished in the area. You can try Bearcats in Algoma, at WI-42 and County S for chubs. Bearcats is a great store with a variety of smoked, frozen and fresh fish.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: smoked fish?

bearcats in algoma... you can smellem a mile away...

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
400 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: smoked fish?

I will also agree with Bearcats in Algoma. It's close enough to Door County to drive to quickly and get what you want. I love their cajun smoked salmon and their lemon pepper smoked salmon. They usually have them in a display case and you can point out which fillet you would like.

Manitowoc Rapids...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: smoked fish?

Brad Birmingham, the owner of Birminghams Bar and Cottages in Sturgeon Bay, recommended Bearcats, in Algoma, to us over the past weekend indicating that many of the local fishermen take their fish there for smoking. Anybody who has been to Brad's place knows that he knows fish, so we took him up on the idea as we returned to our home in Manitowoc. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful as we faced many choices in smoked salmon and whitefish...lemon pepper, maple honey smoked, drier, more moist, tail piece, center piece, forward piece. I think you get the idea. We chose a center piece of maple honey smoked salmon, which was superb, as were the whitefish fillets. We owe Brad a thank you, and can strongly suggest Bearcats to anyone passing through Algoma.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: smoked fish?

Teske's in Baileys Harbor.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
3,738 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: smoked fish?

Are you sure about that? the only Teske's in Door County of which I'm familiar was the store just outside of Gills Rock. It closed years ago.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: smoked fish?

You're correct Rick, my mistake. It's Hickey's Fish Market in Bailey's Harbor.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste ;)

Marinette, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: smoked fish?

Bearcat's in Algoma is superb!!!! We make a 90 minute trip there several times a year because it's just that good. Love the smoked salmon and smoked chubs. They have so many other seafood items, too.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: smoked fish?

I realize that this is an older thread but since Hinkey Bros. (in Bailey's Harbor) was mentioned, I thought I'd comment.

I caught a salmon which I had processed there. They did a great (and fair) job with it. While there I did buy a smoked chub ($6.99/lb) which was outstanding! They also had smoked whitefish, plus a lot of choice in terms of fresh fish.

I would recommend them based on my experience with them this past month.

10. Re: smoked fish?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Door County