We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inland lake swimming?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
inland lake swimming?

We're Wisconsin residents who come to Door County every summer, and I've yet to find a nice (warm) inland lake for swimming. Does anyone know of such a place? We're staying near Jacksonport on Glidden Drive.

Thanks!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inland lake swimming?

Heck at this point EVERY lake's warm!! I saw the the weather last night the Lake Michigan's surface temperature is now 81. I'm really not sure of a real answer to your question. Many of the lakes are quite small and I'm not sure if they have public beach access. You could check out Kangaroo Lake online. Are you staying at the Glidden Lodge? We enjoyed our dinner there years ago and toured the lodge, it was tempting to stay there but we're usually at Egg Harbor.

Chicago Suburbs
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inland lake swimming?

You are very close to a small public beach on the southwest corner of Clark Lake. Take WD east and take a left, north, onto S Lake Rd.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: inland lake swimming?

True! I've been watching Lake Michigan's temperature as well. I know the heat/drought is bad, but I wouldn't mind a warmer lake to swim in! : )

We rent a house along Glidden Drive--and I didn't realize you could eat dinner at the lodge!

I suppose the inland lakes are probably pretty low and marshy/algae-covered as well.

The house we rent isn't air conditioned, and we've never needed it before. I guess I should hope for warm water and cool evenings!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: inland lake swimming?

Thanks Rick! We'll check it out.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: inland lake swimming?

I would not assume the "inland" lakes are low and algae covered. Totally different ecosystem from Lake Michigan. While I have not been swimming in the lakes, Kangaroo lake looks just as pretty as always.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,290 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: inland lake swimming?

Kangaroo Lake is warm and shallow but I don't believe there are any public beaches on it. You could go to the public boat landing there and check it out for a possible swim from there. Clark Lake is very nice and after swimming you could stop at Mikes Port Pub in Jacksonport for a great burger.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
421 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: inland lake swimming?

I know it's not inland, but have you looked into the bay side or along the canal in Sturgeon Bay. I've always went to Sunset park in Sturgeon Bay for swimming when I didn't want the cold/cool waters of Lake Michigan.

Chicago, iL
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: inland lake swimming?

There is a small public beach on the west side of Kangaroo Lake. Take Kangaroo Beach Road to get there.

Chicago, iL
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: inland lake swimming?

There is a small public beach on the west side of Kangaroo Lake. Take Kangaroo Beach Road to get there.

10. Re: inland lake swimming?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 16, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Door County