We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling across wisconsin to door county

Alexandria...
1 post
Save Topic
traveling across wisconsin to door county

We will be taking off on the 4th of July on motorcycle coming from MN to final destination of Door County WI. We like to just ride where ever the road takes us. Do we have to book hotels ahead of time or will we be ok, booking on the fly?

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling across wisconsin to door county

weekdays are better but it's now in the busy season so you may want to book ahead. You may find places with openings but may find yourself calling around/driving around looking and maybe not finding so easily. Also people may have extended there 4th vacation for that week as well. Perhaps some of the locals will have more insights but I know at this time of the year I would definitely want to book ahead (at least for the Door County portion of your travels)

Genesee Depot...
Level Contributor
394 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling across wisconsin to door county

I would check now for places in Door Cty to stay. Yes, after the 4th will be better off but still lot's of folks will be around. If today you find several places that are available, then yes you should have good luck free-lancing your stays. However, if your searches come up booked, filled, no vacancies, etc then you'll have to reserve before you leave.

We got caught several years ago not having a place to stay, drove up and down the Door till 11pm, finally found a place that just had a cancellation.

As far as the rest of WI, I don't think you'll have any issues. Have fun, we ride too !!

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling across wisconsin to door county

The 4th in Door County could be tough, I am nearly full. But since you are coming from Alex my guess is you will be in DC on the 5th. Will be busy, but you should be able to get a room. Do not, however, wait till 6:00 at night!

4. Re: traveling across wisconsin to door county

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 06, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Door County