We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Door County Experience

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Door County Experience

Of the towns to choose in Door County I was exceptionally pleased with our choice of Ephraim. The setting is beautiful and no trip to the Door is complete without taking in Peninsula State Park from the drive, overlooks, tower and lighthouse there's much to be seen. It's a convenient location with lots of dining combined in just Ephraim and Fish Creek alone. The Bay Breeze Resort was the highlight of our trip and I can't say enough good things about it (see newly posted review). It's location next to the Door County Confectionery is great, the dipped oreos are wonderful among many other treats. The private beach and beautiful grounds were a highlight of Bay Breeze, along with beautiful rooms and helpful staff. You can walk into town less than a mile to other dining/shopping. No trip to Door County is complete without a stop at Wilson's Ice Cream Parlor in Ephraim(see review) where you may pay $5.75 for a sundae but you're getting your money's worth! We came in late August so we didn't deal with crowds here or in Ephraim. If pizza is your meal of choice if you're traveling with family then head to the Wild Tomato in Fish Creek but avoid the mistake I made which is Jo Jo's (bad service, ok pizza, see review I posted) for pizza even after the recommend of the Wild Tomato. For time constraints to get back to the pool before it closed we opted to stay in town. Of course Fish Creek is right next door. Next time we'll try Wild Tomato!

Other highlights were the Whitefish Dunes State Park (where a stretch of the beach by the doggy beach has singing sand!) and Cave Point Co. Park right next door. Both are very beautiful spots.

PC Junction in Peninsula Center was kind of a dissappointment for us (see review) so we'd go elsewhere the next time.

The Maritime Museum in Sturgeon Bay is really nice we enjoyed that stop as well.

We didn't make it to some of the spots we hoped to explore but rather enjoyed staying put and enjoying the things we did. Ephraim is a town steeped in history and their buildings show it. I can't wait to go back and explore more there, in Ephraim and beyond in Door County.

Thanks to all the input posted that was helpful in planning this trip!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Door County Experience

We have friends who love PC Junction. It's typical "bar food" with the addition of that railroad, but we were also underwhelmed. It seems most either really love it or are disappointed. We've had good luck getting a sandwich at the Door County Bakery which isn't too far away. And of course you can always get some of their wonderful treats.

It's funny, it seems it's hard to get really good pizza in DC. We had some at Door County Ice Cream (and pizza) that we couldn't even finish. Now we go to Moretti's in Sister Bay, really good stuff there.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Door County Experience

have you tried the Wild Tomato in Fish Creek, Frozen_Tundra_Gal? I heard good about it from our resort hosts and also someone on the forums posted about it within the same day. Good to know about the other one you mentioned too for future reference as we missed a lot of dining--still mean to get to The White Gull Inn for their Cherry stuffed french toast (wanted to go even before it won on Good Morning America's breakfast challenge), Al Johnson's and many more. Joe Jo's was mistake I should have checked Trip Advisor first!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Door County Experience

Haven't tried the Wild Tomato. We're heading up there in a few weeks and I'll have to give it a try. Never had White Gull's stuffed French Toast, but I think there cherry pie is the best. Seaquist's is good, but theirs is better. When you said JoJo's, I was thinking of Mojo Rosa's, glad I realized the difference. I think we need to make a forum or post just about the bakery up there.

I've taken it upon myself to personally, under great peril, try and determine who has the best breakfast buns. AND should they be cinnamon rolls or sticky buns? Dang, I forgot who won last year, so I guess I'll have to try them all again...Let's see, there was Pink Bakery, Door County Bakery, Wagon Wheel.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Door County Experience

I missed the window to edit my previous post. It's Wagon TRAIL not, Wheel but now they call it Rowley's Bay Resort in Ellison Bay. Sorry.

midwest
Level Contributor
216 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Door County Experience

Ephraim is still my favorite of all the villages with Fish Creek as a close second.

I guess it depends on the agenda. This time around staying in Fish Creek suited our needs.

Glad you enjoyed Bay Breeze, Hatchpal. We love it too! The private beach is nice and I especially loved the rooms and grounds.

We just got back from our D.C. trip ourselves. We were also there during the lull and experienced that for the first time. And then the Labor Day crowd came in and everything changed. :) Still, Labor day weekend crowd was nothing, in comparison to the Fall Festival crowds that we have experienced over the years.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
187 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Door County Experience

Hatch, I completely agree with you about PC Junction. I've been there twice and had substandard food and lazy service both times -- plus, the place is dirty. I don't understand the raves. If it didn't have a train, nobody would go there.

Wild Tomato is very good, you should definitely check it out if you can. My favorite "regular" pizza place (to me, Wild Tomato is more of a "gourmet" or California Pizza Kitchen type of place) is Sonny's. There are a few locations. It is the ONLY decent traditional style pizza in Door County.

WI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,087 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Door County Experience

It's dark and narrow with little seating in the main area. They had an opportunity to do it up really nice in there by expanding so just more than the bar seated people can enjoy the train by including a bigger seating area and also better lighting would do it a world of good in there. It's a shame. We came the end of the season, last week of August and whereas Door County wasn't busy (i.e. the other places we traveled) PC Junction at 2:30 PM was so packed yet at that time they were unable to and unwilling to accomodate us and shoved us in the outdoor covered back room (attached but not really part of the interior, you couldn't view the inside of the main section of PC Junction). It was very disappointing. Even going to look at the train is frowned upon as the area coming into the bar area is a narrow passage and they're trying to walk through there, so if you look you're blocking the access to the employees who need to pass through. I usually give the place the benefit of the doubt if I can but can't with this one, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

I look forward to trying the Wild Tomato the next time we're that way!

Edited: 8:37 am, March 08, 2011
8. Re: Door County Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 09, 2012