We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary, Please!

minnesota
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary, Please!

We have a long weekend planned. Can you tell me if this itinerary sounds reasonable with the amount of time we have?

Arrive around noon on Fri- May 21. Cabin is in Sturgeon Bay. Check in at 3:00 so we would go to White Fish Dunes SP for a picnic. Then check out Cave Point Park. Possibly go up to see Cana Island Lighthouse. Is it worth $7.00x6=$42.00 to go up it? Thought we would have a BBQ back at the cabin.

Get up early Sat and drive 1 hour to the Washington Island Ferry.

Pick up a picnic lunch at the Danish Bakery and Deli and go to Schoolhouse beach. In the afternoon ideas were renting a pontoon or renting kayaks. Eating at the Cookery in Fish Creek and seeing the sunset at Sunset Beach.

On Sunday go to Peninsula State Park. Hike Eagle Trail. Get custard from Not Licked Yet. Check out towns near by. Leave around 4:00.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary, Please!

I think it would work. Cave Point County Park is just north of Whitefish Dunes, and might be the better place for a picnic -- it's got tables right by the parking lot. You won't spend a lot of time there, but you easily could spend an hour hiking at Whitefish Dunes.

Cana Island light won't be open for tours in the evening. Most people just walk to it for free. I'd try to fit it in Saturday or Sunday, with a visit to Ridges Sanctuary to see the rare wildflowers (if the weather is nice).

Weather is hit or miss that time of year, so you should have a Plan B. But if it's beautiful and calm, you could kayak over to Rock Island State Park on Saturday.

If you like lighthouses, be sure to see or tour the Eagle Bluff light in Peninsula State Park, www.eagleblufflighthouse.org/tours.htm

You could also go on the fireboat cruise in Sturgeon Bay, which goes past three lighthouses, midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/outdoors_rec…

Here's more about the outdoors in Door County: midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/touring/scen…

minnesota
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary, Please!

Thanks for you reply and links. Good info. I would like to kayak by Cave point to see the sea caves. Is there anywhere near there that rents kayaks? I know there is a place that does tours but they are $55.00 a person :( Also, any other trails in Peninsula SP that we should do besides the Eagle Trail. Thanks for your help!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary, Please!

You can rent kayaks from Bay Shore Outdoor Store in Sister Bay. The problem is that outfitters don't want to let you go out onto Lake Michigan by yourselves, especially not at Cave Point, where the waves (and possibly kayaks) crash against rock. If you have a recent kayak safety-course certification, maybe -- you'll have to call and ask.

I do think they might let you go into the Mink River Estuary, where you'll see a lot of herons and other birds. But renting kayaks isn't cheap, either.

There are 20 miles of hiking trails at Peninsula State Park, …state.wi.us/org/…trails.htm. But the marquee trail, besides the Eagle Trail, is the 10-mile Sunset Trail for bicycling. You can rent bikes in Fish Creek.

minnesota
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary, Please!

Seaburytravel- thanks for your help. I went to Bayshore Outdoor Store web site and found just what I wanted ! I thought i had to kayak by Cove point for sea caves but there are some on the bay side and the water is calmer so that is better too. We were going to be on that side coming down from Washington Island and wanting to go to Sunset beach for the sunset, I found the Cookery in Fish Creek for dinner. It seemed to get great reviews.

Do you happen to know anything about Sunrise Shores Log Cabin in Sturgeon Bay? That is where we are staying but I can't find a review on it.

Also, wondering if you thought it was worth it to pay $42. for 6 to climb Cana Island Light house.

We are from MN too. Live west of Minnetonka.

Again, much thanks for your input.

Edited: 2:24 pm, February 28, 2010
Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary, Please!

I don't know Sunrise Shores Log Cabin, and it doesn't seem to have a web presence, which is pretty unusual these days.

When I was at Cana Island, the tower wasn't open for tours. Probably the extra $3 to go into the tower is to pay for restoration. If you don't feel like paying it, don't -- or part of your group could go up and take pictures.

It's fun just to walk across the causeway to the grounds. If you want a great view, you can get one for free from Eagle Tower in Peninsula State Park.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,373 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary, Please!

The fees for Cana Island support the efforts to maintain this area. It is a great lighthouse to view. I climbed to the light for the first time last summer. It is a worthwhile lighthouse to climb.

Better views are found at the tower in Penninsula SP.

I don't think I'd make Washington Island a priority during a long weekend before Memorial Day, unless you really wanted to include Rock Island. Make sure you know what is open and what is still closed for the season.

You won't get to see everything worthwhile in D Cty in a long weekend as there is plenty to enjoy.

Fish Creek...
Level Contributor
998 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with itinerary, Please!

You will be spending waaaaay too much driving with this itinerary! Slow down, relax, enjoy the County! The scenery is beautiful, the people are friendly, the pace is relaxed Why not just hang around the north County villages and parks and enjoy it?

minnesota
Level Contributor
179 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with itinerary, Please!

We are taking our 2 married children on this long weekend. Trying to find lodging with 3 bedrooms that I could afford, we ended up in Sturgeon Bay. Knowing what I know now I would have found a place more centrally located so there wasn't as much driving but I can't change it now. I know it is 1 hour to the ferry from the cabin but that isn't that far- and isn't the scenery beautiful? We are trying to see a lot of the county in a short amount of time. We all want to see Cave Point, Washington Island, and Peninsula State Park. I guess I don't know how else to do it.

Chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with itinerary, Please!

When heading back, I highly recommend driving the lakeshore roads from Sturgeon Bay to Kewaunee, then Hy 29 West (if you are going back to MN) - the drive is just as pretty as Door County but more grand - in fact, Kewaunee County is very beautiful; more open and less developed. Stop at the Kewaunee Inn, a charming historic Hotel near the waterfront in Kewaunee.

10. Re: Help with itinerary, Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Door County