We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer

12 posts
Save Topic
First Timer

Hello! Thank you in advance for your advice! I am looking at coming to Door County in August (dates flexible). With my husband, grandparents (75 in age) and twins (18 months old). I was hoping to rent a house or something like that with water access. Would like to be able to sit on the beach but also have access to house if kids need to nap. We like water, restaurants, light shopping. Would like to not have to walk a ton for my grandparents sake. Any suggestions on where to stay? I'm a little overwhelmed reading all the forums on what town to pick. Any must see things to do? Thank you very very much for help!

Mentioned in this post
Door County
Door County
Wisconsin
3 replies to this topic
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,042 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g10120…

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer

Private waterfront rentals are expensive and not quite as plentiful as you would think for a place surrounded by water. You are also late to the game for an August rental. Many places book up to a year in advance for summer dates. That being said, I would look at the Sister Bay Yacht Club which is on the water and walkable to many shops, restaurants and the beach. You could also book 2 rooms at the Edgewater in Ephraim, across the street from the water. The Newport in Egg Harbor is very nice but only offer two bedrooms and I think it would be a little tight for you and the walk into town is about three blocks and the way back is uphill. Also look at the Fish Creek Inn which offers motel rooms, cottages and suites. It is a half block from the marina and right in the middle of town. For a first time visit I would stay in Egg Harbor or points north.

Mentioned in this post
Sister Bay
Sister Bay
Door County, WI
Ephraim
Ephraim
Door County, WI
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Egg Harbor
Egg Harbor