We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shades or Grace?????

Which Mui Ne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Shades or Grace?????

Hey people,

Trying to decide between Shades apartments or Grace boutique hotel for middle of Feb......

Is there anything that could sway us in our choosing? Both look like nice smaller places with nice pools and good reviews. Which location is better? We don't need the bars/clubs. but a few restaurants or markets close by would be good.

Does it even matter?...... Could we just hire a scooter for 4 days and get around easily enough??

Cheers for your thoughts...

Matt

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shades or Grace?????

Both of them have plenty of restaurants nearby. Shades is on the west side of the Bo Ke strip in the center of Ham Tien and Grace is on the east side. I think you would be happy with either one. There are public buses that run between city center and all the Phan Thiet resorts along the beach from 6AM until 9PM, so getting around is not a problem.

Mui Ne, Vietnam
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shades or Grace?????

I can't say anything about the actual hotels, but location-wise Shades is slightly better. Most of the coastline east of Shades all the way to Mui Ne are concrete breakwaters with occasional narrow sand beach spots. You will also have to cross other hotels to get to the beach if you choose Grace as all of the coastline is densely built-over and there are literally no paths to the beach. In some hotels security will ask you out, just act like you don't speak any language known to the mankind and move on.

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shades or Grace?????

Danila, Both resorts are on the beach. One does not have to go through the property of any other hotel to get to the beach from Grace. However, as you say, neither has much of a beach. Both are above sea walls.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,352 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shades or Grace?????

Bit of a toss up really as they are really just the same although I haven't been to Grace recently. Shades always impressed me with the level of professionalism. As the others have said the beach access is down the seawall, although both do have a fair beach at low tide.

Cheers Ross

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shades or Grace?????

This morning at low tide peak, zero beach at Sankara.

No wind, small weaves.

Always wondering how resorts east of Sankara can charge money for a beach that at best will be 2 meters 2 times a month (in winter).

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shades or Grace?????

Maurizio, This only seems to be a problem at Rang Beach in Ham Tien ward. All of the other beaches in Mui Ne ward, Phu Hai ward, Phan Thiet city center and Tien Thanh ward always have beaches.

Mui Ne, Vietnam
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shades or Grace?????

I know, what I meant is most people will choose to walk 2.5 kms on the road rather than under seawalls with all the garbage and seashells waiting to cut your feet. That is how far one has to walk from Grace to the normal beach.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,735 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shades or Grace?????

Also today at low tide the waves are hitting the seawalls in Ham Tien center.

You cannot even walk due to the concrete round blocks for underground protection no longer below the sand.

Only the first 2/3 Km of Ham Tien, the russian area, have some permanent sand.

So before booking ask about the power generator and how big is the beach of the resort......

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
186 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shades or Grace?????

I don't actually know about either yet but what swayed me to book Grace was the TA reviews and I am researching restaurants which seem to be very close to just a taxi ride away. Beach not my thing but pool at Grace looked nice & I too like small hotels.

I have to say, the interaction I have had so far with booking has been 100% - husband cannot manage stairs for breakfast so they will serve in the bar area for us & have offered a room ground floor close to pool etc for us

If service so far anything to go by I am impressed!

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shades or Grace?????

There are many Vietnamese restaurants near Grace. The best non Vietnamese are Oliver's (Italian with great homemade pastas) and The Bar (Mexican). Also the restaurant at Les Jardin Des Thes (Vuon Tra) Resort has some excellent French dishes and is run by a couple from France. None of the Vietnamese restaurants within walking distance of Grace stand out.