We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train PT4 Saigon - Phan Thiet

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train PT4 Saigon - Phan Thiet

Hi all

I've posted this on the HCMC forum but can't seem to get a straight answer!

On some websites, a daily train called PT4 shows up from Saigon to Phan Thiet. It leaves around 5pm and gets to Phan Thiet at around 9pm. As of yet I've been unable to find a website that can actually take a booking for it however.

If this train exists it would make a huge difference to my trip as it's far more convenient and conductive to our plans I'm HCMC. Can anyone tell me straight out whether this service is running or not or if it's a mistake on the websites I've read?

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train PT4 Saigon - Phan Thiet

Most days there is only one train between Saigon and Phan Thiet. It leaves Saigon at 07:00 and arrives in Phan Thiet just after 11:00. However, there is an evening train that operates two days over the weekend. I believe that is the train you are referring to. I suggest you go to the station in district 3 to get a ticket for it.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,417 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train PT4 Saigon - Phan Thiet

As I had mentioned in some other posts, things in Viet Nam can change swiftly (well, they do change swiftly in other countries, too.)

The problem is that even the official website doesn't even keep up with all the changes all the time.

Currently, there are 3 trains (SE6, SE8, SE22) that stop at the station further from the town (as well as the tourist area that spread eastward from the town) before continuing onto the North.

https:/…train-from-ho-chi-minh-city-to-mui-ne

There's also the SPT2 traveling daily and there's used to be the PT4 traveling on the weekends (Fri, Sat, and Sun)

phanthietvn.com/Di-gi-den-Phan-Thiet/…197

These two stop at the station that is closer to town, right off the National Highway 1.

However, this is the latest news I learn from the Lao Dong Newspaper (in Vietnamese):

laodong.com.vn/Xa-hoi/…125985.bld

The PT4 (and its counterpart PT3, which runs the opposite direction) are temporarily out of service between the 12th and 28th of July. There's no mentioning whether they will resume their normal schedule or not. (Remember these are weekend trains that I noted above.)

Instead, they install a new temporaty train designated as the SPT4 (and its counterpart, the SPT3) that run daily - from July 8th through July 30th.

Basically, we can say that this train replaces the PT4 (and PT3).

The differences are that they depart a little earlier and they run everyday (while the PT4 and PT3 were weekend trains only.)

Neither the PT4/PT3, nor the SPT4/SPT3 appear on the official website.

You will just have to go to the railway station to confirm things; I'm afraid that the small travel agencies may not be up-to-date with all the changes.

Starting with August, we will have to see if we can find out about any new changes.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train PT4 Saigon - Phan Thiet

No need to go to train station if you are in PNL area.

The office of Vietnam Railways is in Pham Ngu Lao street at 275C, they will give you the real ticket with price and seat, so no surprise after using some travel agency. The reference web site for trains on Vietnam is seat61.com.

I don't know why you insist on train, do you stay in an hotel In Phan Thiet?

The morning train is not useful, too early.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293925-c187685/Ho-Ch…

If yoy stay in Mui Ne the bus (PT only) is the right choice, for longer trip train or plane is better.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train PT4 Saigon - Phan Thiet

John, the SPT4 (and SPT3) will continue to be in service until September 3rd, and there's no mentioning of PT4 (or PT3). www.vetau.com.vn/Pages/Default.aspx…

I assume that SPT4 and SPT3 relace PT4 and PT3 so they won't be in use for a while. It seems that the official booking site doesn't let me book further than August. PT4 is there in the booking site, but of course unavailable to book. SPT4 is too new and they haven't updated the site (or don't want to) for a temporary train I suppose. And remember that the PT4 only runs on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. I'm not sure about the SPT4. You'll have to confirm with the station.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train PT4 Saigon - Phan Thiet

As I understand it, the SPT4 runs every day in the week to cope with the increase in traffic between HCMC and PT during the summer (hence the need to replace PT4, which only runs on Fri, Sat, and Sun).

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,871 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train PT4 Saigon - Phan Thiet

I side with Maurizio on this one. Its best to go straight to the office of the railways to get the most current advice. Things do change quite slowly in VN then quite rapidly without much announcement.

Cheers Ross

7. Re: Train PT4 Saigon - Phan Thiet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 30, 2014