We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time to leave to visit the white sand dune for sunrise

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
time to leave to visit the white sand dune for sunrise

Hello everyone,

I will be visiting Mui Ne in February (yes during Tet) and I am taking a four-hour tour to see the attractions in Mui Ne (White Sand Dune, the Red one, Fishing Village, and the Fairy Stream). As I only have 4 hours to visit all places, I would really like eto leave the hotel at 4.30 am to escape the crowd. However, as the sunrise in February is around 6 am (from the weather forcecast website), is it too soon to leave the hotel? I was afraid of arriving there in the dark and have to leave before the landscape gets pretty (as I have to visit other places too). By the way, is the fairy stream worth visiting? If I could give it a miss, I would love to take the time from the fairy stream to stay longer at the white sand dune.

White Sand Dunes
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mui Ne Harbor
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Red Sand Dunes
Geologic Formations
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,638 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time to leave to visit the white sand dune for sunrise

You are trying to fit too much into a crowded time frame. 4 hours is nothing. It'll be brightening from around 5.30am. Maybe it would be better to just drop the tick sheet and actually explore places. To see the sun rise proper you'll need to go walkabout. Or do you really intend to drive in, sniff the air and say yes, seen it all. Drive on......... Who knows, you might be lucky, it might rain and you'll save some time that way....................

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time to leave to visit the white sand dune for sunrise

Thank you for your suggestion.

It was a private tour jeep from the hotel I will be staying it. They said that if I leave at 4.30 am, I shall be returned at 8.30 am. I know its too little time. Do you suggest booking somewhere else that offers more time for the 'half day' tour. Or else, if I am given only 4 hours. Do you suggest me visiting only the white sand dune and the fishing village and leave a little before 5 am instead? So that I don't have to linger in the dark and have more time at the white sand dune.

Thank you

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time to leave to visit the white sand dune for sunrise

Thank you for your suggestion.

It was a private tour jeep from the hotel I will be staying it. They said that if I leave at 4.30 am, I shall be returned at 8.30 am. I know its too little time. Do you suggest booking somewhere else that offers more time for the 'half day' tour. Or else, if I am given only 4 hours. Do you suggest me visiting only the white sand dune and the fishing village and leave a little before 5 am instead? So that I don't have to linger in the dark and have more time at the white sand dune.

Thank you

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: time to leave to visit the white sand dune for sunrise

Hi,

White Sand Dunes is 30km from Mui Ne, 15km from Red Sand Dunes. You will pass Red Sand Dunes then Fishing Village before actually reach the White Sand Dune. 4.30 is too early coz you wont stop at the Red one and fishing village for long. Start at 5.am or 5.30 you will have enough time there before the sun burns everything.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,772 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time to leave to visit the white sand dune for sunrise

Trust the tour guide he knows what you want as it is no different to what any other tourist would want. A 4.30 start gets you at the Red dunes ok for sun rise and then back to the white dunes and fishing village. You cant be at both for sunrise so if you really want the white dune sunrise then 4.30 is too early, and I suggest you ask him to alter his timetable as it is a private tour.

Cheers Ross

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time to leave to visit the white sand dune for sunrise

My suggestion would be to rent a motorbike and do it on your own. The road is quite good and there is no traffic on it any time of the day. It is a very pleasant drive and, if you are not at the mercy of a tour guide, you can do it all at your own pace. Also, the red dunes are best seen at sunset as you can climb to the top and see the sun setting over Phan Thiet Bay. What hotel are you staying in? The red dunes are easily accessible from almost any Phan Thiet hotel by taking the public bus, which goes right through the dunes.

By the way, Mekong Lodge is incorrect again. He is obviously confusing Ham Tien with Mui Ne. The white sand dunes are about 25 kilometers north of the red sand dunes which are located in Mui Ne and what he refers to as the "fishing village" is Mui Ne itself.

Edited: 8:42 pm, February 08, 2013
Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: time to leave to visit the white sand dune for sunrise

Ooohh Steve,

You mentioned the 'rent a moto' thing :-) Personally, I think Mui ne is one of the best/safest places to ride illegally in Vn.

But Steve said it first, so get stuck into him before the claws come out on me, Ok. :-)

Just for the record Steve. Between you and Ross the info you guys have offered over this forum (Mui ne) has been outstanding.

I am now a Mui ne/ Ham tien/ Phan thiet etc... addict. Thanks, I think.

Back there in 10 3/4 weeks :-)

Mark

8. Re: time to leave to visit the white sand dune for sunrise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 11, 2014