We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed bugs

Knet
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bed bugs

Hi all,

I've just read a review about bed bugs in vietnam, particularly on government owned hotels, that begin with saigon.....

As I am staying in the Saigon Mui Ne resort, does anyone know if there is a problem, with bed bugs or with the quality of service in government hotels?

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Mui Ne Resort
Saigon Mui Ne Resort
277 Reviews
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,871 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bed bugs

Its often said that the Government places dont get the same level of service but I can say that I have no personal knowledge of this problem. I would imagine though any place charging less than $10 a night could not have the staff to give complete service, unless it is a homestay.

Cheers Ross

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bed bugs

Bunloaf,

I run a resort in Phan Thiet and I have not heard of any bed bug problem here. Often guests bitten by sand flies will, upon returning to Europe, have doctors tell them that they have bed bug bites. The reason is that they are unfamiliar with our sand fly bites, which are similar. Every time we have this reported, we put the rooms out of order and have the pest control people come in and check everything thoroughly. Other hotels do the same and after six years running this resort, we have never discovered any bed bugs.

Mentioned in this post
Phan Thiet
Phan Thiet
Binh Thuan Province, Vietnam
Knet
Level Contributor
37 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bed bugs

Thank you Ross. My hotel bigns with 'Saigon'. which I am led to believe makes them state run. However, it is not cheap, so I assume it is ok. DO you, or does anybody know, if the SAigon Mui Ne resort has bed bugs?

Thanks for your help

V

Mentioned in this post
Saigon Mui Ne Resort
Saigon Mui Ne Resort
277 Reviews
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bed bugs

Hotels with a number in them, like Khách Sạn 30 or something similar are most likely state run. Often recognised by staff totally uninterested in their jobs. If you like to bargain for a room rate that is not where you want to go.

Back in the day, state (or navy) run dumps were really unhealthy. I don't know about today, I never stay in state places after I stayed in a place on Tran Phu in Nha Trang back in the nineties, where every single room was a large container for mold.

Edited: 6:37 pm, May 08, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bed bugs

Have to say they, that Hotels with low numbers, like An An 1 and An An 2 are not necessarily state run, they're just a proof of lack of imagination.

For an example of this in Nha Trang there is Đông Phương 1 and Đông Phương 2 in Nha Trang, about 1 km apart. Same owner.

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,871 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bed bugs

bunloaf this thread will not lead to anything conclusive as I'm sure that if Saigon Mui Ne had bed bugs we would know about it and they would certainly have done something about it. I agree with Steve that the diagnosis for bed bugs is problematical particularly if you frequent sand floor places after dark, without repellant where sand flies often live.

Cheers Ross

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bed bugs

i never had a problem with bed bugs in my hotel....as they maticulously cleaned each day and clean sheets every day (my hotel for the last 2 years is Hoang Kim Golden Resort), but one thing i did find on my travels this year was there were a lot more sandflies, and i'm usually the first one to get a mozzie bite at home in oz. so take your mosquito repellant as there are no bed bugs to my knowledge just the dreaded sandflies, avoid dawn & dusk, and keep up vitamin or eat vegemite???

Mentioned in this post
Hoang Kim Golden
Hoang Kim Golden
133 Reviews
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,578 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bed bugs

In 15 years of sleeping in hotel beds in some very budget locations..... I have as of yet never seen or heard of bed bug problems. I sometimes wonder what the point is of scare mongering in some of the travel guides and sites.

Owee

www.owee58.com

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
56 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bed bugs

I have only experienced bed-bugs once - in a 4Star Brisbane, Australia, hotel. Seems you can get them in all standards of hotel anywhere in the world - just requires 1 guest with eggs or bugs on their luggage to infect a hotel and the bugs hide in or under mattresses so that daily change of linen does not necessarilly get rid of them. That said, I'm pretty sure that not too many fatalities result from bed-bug bites.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,871 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bed bugs

Ahh Vegemite-I shave with it !! Fix a broken gear box.

Cheers Ross