We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

Which Mui Ne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

Getting a lot of mixed information. The gang at Lonely Planet calls Mui Ne the best beach in Thailand etc, etc. But lots of other sources and individual blogs talk about how windy it is there.

We are travelling with a 5 year old who loves the beach but no child, or adult for that matter, enjoys having sand blown in their face all day long.

Can anyone give us a real feel for a typical day on the beach in Mui Ne? We were really looking forward to going there but if it is just for windsurfers we will skip it...

Thank you very much!

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

It is windy! This isnt the place to lie on the beach and read a book.

Are you planning on going to Nha Trang, Hoi An, or Danang? Those are other good beach destinations.

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

Nha Trang and Hoi An are both on our itinerary at this point. Thanks for the feedback!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

Yes, it does get a little bit windy............. flickr.com/photos/bertie_is_here/2195928890/ but I would say as soon as you leave the beach area you don't really notice it.

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

If Hoi An is on your itiniry I would use it for your beach stop and miss out Mui Ne altogether . We had a fabulous 6 days in Mui Ne in Feb. 2011 but it was uncomfortable when the wind blew up from about 2pm onwards. OK in the sheltered hotel gardens though. The drawback for Mui Ne is that it is approx. 5 hours by road from HCM and about the same time to travel to Dalat. So it is a bit out of the way.

Hoi An however, is approx. 45 mins from Danang airport, you have the choice of staying on the beach, in the delightful Old Town or somewhere inbetween. There were many Australian families staying at our hotel in Hoi An, (Long Life Riverside) so I assume there is plenty to keep them occupied. In Mui Ne I did not notice any families and the majority of the tourists were older Russians .

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

Add more time in Hoi An and Nha Trang and give Mui Ne a miss.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

The wind in Mui Ne rises after around 11 am and is a godsend. The purpose of the wind is to cool down the land. If you intend to lay and play on the beach after 11am in the summer then you will be uncomfortable for other reasons and they relate to severe sunburn. The wind dies down again after 3pm. Its not always windy though, there has been recent trips of mine to Mui Ne when the wind has not risen at all.

I find Mui Ne or Ham Tien as it should be known to be a better choice than the other beach areas mentioned above as it is consistantly fine as opposed to the others that suffer from floods, typhoons and very wet seasons. Its academic to be concerned about the cooling sea winds when you are stuck in your room with rain patting on the window.

As to the Russians, they are brought to the western end of Ham Tien as part of a packaged travel arrangement with Russian Resort owners and are visitors in the Euro winter season. They do not dominate the entire area.

Cheers Ross

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

Bethebal,

You didn't say what month you will be travelling to Vietnam. The windy season is between November and April. If you are travelling between May and October, Phan Thiet area gets less rain than the other areas of the country and there is no wind at all to speak of, so in those months, it is best to go to Phan Thiet.

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

Sorry, you are right, I will be there in about 3 weeks, so Mid March.

The feedback so far is terrific, thanks to everyone!

We head Chiang Mai, Bangkok, HCMC and then north to a Vietnamese Beach. Unfortunately right now Chiang Mai is a disaster so if things don't improve soon we are really going to be sick of pollution/haze and need some fresh beach air badly.

I think we will play it by ear for now...

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

"re really going to be sick of pollution/haze"

In that case, hold your breath when you arrive in HCMC.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused about the wind on Mui Ne

betheball could I suggest you have a look at Winguru website for Mui Ne as it gives you 10 days forecast of wind predictions. The variability shows up in this week with winds not sufficient for kitesurfing, but good winds for kiting after 11am on 10/3/2012. Might come in handy if you'reprepared to make last minute decisions.

Cheers Ross