We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

credit card details + CCV + signature

Which Mui Ne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, New South...
10 posts
Save Topic
credit card details + CCV + signature

Hello everyone,

I am looking at staying at the seahorse Resort & Spa in March 2012 for three nights. I have sent them an email and booked for the three nights but they have sent me a confirmation email with a form to be completed and emailed back to hold the booking with payment on check out. The form askes for all my credit card details including the CCV number along with my passport details and at the end of the form it asks me to sign it.

My question is, do I send this info in as it is normal pratice for larger hotels? or do I say no and go elsewhere? Or do I get myself a new debit card with limited funds and give that info to them?

Any help would be great.

thankyou

Glenn

vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
5,711 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: credit card details + CCV + signature

Try asking them for alternative ways of putting down a deposit, bank to bank transfer, western union, paypal etc. Am sure it would be okay but you never know.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: credit card details + CCV + signature

Hi Glenn, when we stayed at the sailing club they needed credit card details, front and back etc. Sent them a copy and we found it perfectly safe. They were only going to axcess account if we didn't show up. I think I read somewhere that a few places require that info.

Loved Mui Ne

cheers

Viv

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,433 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: credit card details + CCV + signature

Mmmmm...........I wouldn't. Never been asked for a CCV or a signature for booking a hotel anywhere in the world.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: credit card details + CCV + signature

It may not help the OP, but I myself try to stay clear of places that want too much CC detail. There are always other resorts and hotels.

If enough people try to discourage the practice of requiring enough information to actually commit fraud (even if they do not), then some day they will stop it.

Halong Bay, Vietnam
Level Contributor
210 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: credit card details + CCV + signature

I would not recommend this any more because your credit card information can be in the wrong hands. There might be many staff of the hotel can get access to their email and of course all of them can use your credit cards information.

I would suggest them to use other methods such as bank wire transfer or you can ask them to check out Onepay company which provides safe payment facility in Vietnam!

Hope this helps!

Darian Culbert

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: credit card details + CCV + signature

Many hotels now in Australia require a credit card on booking or arrival. It has become common practice for them to "freeze" a certain amount of money for up to 5 or 6 days after you leave to cover any costs or damages. The money isn't withdrawn as such, but you can't access your own funds until the hotel releases the said funds. This isn't all that different, but I'd be uncomfortable giving this info to someone I don't yet know.

Tell them you're reluctant to pass on this information. They probably have dozens of people every week who feel like you do, and surely would be able to provide alternatives.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: credit card details + CCV + signature

Hmm, remind me not to visit Australia. What you describe sounds unlawful in the rest of the world.

Sydney, New South...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: credit card details + CCV + signature

thanks for your help guys.

i think there are other nicer if not better resorts to stay in at Mui Ne so I will try them and fingers crossed they do not ask for all the same information.

Cheers

Glenn

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,296 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: credit card details + CCV + signature

very dangerous!

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,401 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: credit card details + CCV + signature

Glen this is a common practice, a bit over the top,but most Resorts these days are nervous of unsecured bookings due to the high rate of "no shows" I am no longer nervous about the practice as the dispute mechanisms used in Australia are very effective, and at the end of the day the Resort needs to prove their case. If your not happy there are many more Resorts that as you say are just as or better than Seahorse.

If you want to go ahead then just send a deposit and do as most others do, pay the balance on check out, after all they will have your passport as security.You could also try a booking thru an agency like Booking.com, Agoda etc etc.

Cheers Ross