We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

Singapore
2 posts
Save Topic
How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

I am planning a 5 days trip with a group of 6 people to Vietnam staying in Ho Chi Minh for 2 nights and heading to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh, how do I get to Mui Ne by the fastest available transport? Also, what is the estimated time to reach Mui Ne? Is it even possible to rent a car and drive to Mui Ne?

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
vietnam
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

Hire a car,seven seater,quickest.Bus may be your best option,about 5hrs,and cheapest.There is also a train but you will have to take a taxi to your hotel and that could be a 30min or more trip depending where you are staying.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,547 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

Hi we went by bus. Used the Phuong Trang bus Co which cost us $6. Bus very clean and we had a very safe driver. Stopped at their own cafe for a break which was extremely clean with good food.

Singapore
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

Thanks for the guide!

Do they have the bus travelling time slots of night time or do they travel only during the day?

Is it worth while going for only 1 day at Mui Ne or is it advisable to go for 2 days?

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,936 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

As you only have 5 days I would take the morning bus either Phoung Trang or Tam Hahn. Both leave HCMC around 7.30am and take around 4 1/2 hours depending on traffic. Phoung Trang will take you on to your chosen accommodation. Cost is $6 each way. Both coaches leave from Pham Ngu Lao Street near the corner of De Tham.

Car hire will cost around $100 and wont get there any quicker because of traffic. Train is a pleasant way to go and is often preferred, however the downside is the Taxi from station to your hotel.

Certainly one night will not be sufficient.

Cheers Ross

Mentioned in this post
Pham Ngu Lao Street
Pham Ngu Lao Street
1,412 Reviews
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
vietnam
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

If going all the way there I would try and spend 2 nights.Travel in Vietnam is slow.The distance may look short to you but it takes longer here due to traffic and road conditions.

Mentioned in this post
Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
297 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

it took us 5 hours to reach Muine on our way there and 6 hours on the way back to HCMC. Yes, i agree, travelling in Vietnam is slow and we were quite worried that we would miss our flight coz the bus back to HCMC was quite slow and kept stopping for passengers to get off.

I would suggest you ask the hotel staff in HCMC (in the hotel you are staying in) if you want to book bus seats to Mui ne. We did that and the bus picked us up at the front of our hotel in pham ngu lao.

Muine is a really nice place to stay in! I am still in love with the place coz it still amazes me! Very laidback and quiet place compared to the hustle and bustle of HCMC.

Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

Jesse,

These are all good suggestions. For other ideas, look on the upper right hand corner of this page where it says "Top Questions about Mui Ne" and click on the "What is the best way to get from Ho Chi Minh City or Nha Trang to Phan Thiet". There are lots of other ideas and suggestions there. The one that I always suggest is the train that leaves Saigon station at 07:10 and arrives Phan Thiet at about 11:30. It is a much nicer way to travel than by car or bus on the road. No horns, you can get up and walk around, there is a food cart and a dining car, you can drink all you want and not have to worry about stopping at a rest room, and you arrive much more relaxed.

Edited: 11:25 pm, December 15, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Mui Ne
Mui Ne
Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
Phan Thiet
Phan Thiet
Binh Thuan Province, Vietnam
Beijing
Level Contributor
15 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

thanks for the info folks. Is there any bus leaving from the Airport?

I will be getting in at about 5:00 a.m and would rather avoid going into saigon if i can.

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

There are no buses from the airport. You would have to hire a taxi. The last quote I got from Mai Linh Taxi was VND 2,000,000 (US $100).

Negotiate the price before you leave. If they leave the meter running, it will cost twice as much.

If you don't want to pay that much, take a taxi to the corner of Pham Ngu Lao and De Tham Streets. Phuong Trang and Tam Hanh are both located near the corner and both have coaches that leave at around 07:00 - 07:30 and arrive in Phan Thiet just after noon.

Edited: 10:45 pm, December 28, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Phan Thiet
Phan Thiet
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,936 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do I get to Mui Ne from Ho Chi Minh?

Beijingdaze please be aware that the Phoung Trang Coach quickly fills as it is the most popular. After clearing customs etc get an Airport Taxi voucher from inside the Airport and go straight to Phoung Trangs office which is where Steve says and get your ticket. If they are sold out cross the road to Tam Hanh and get a ticket on their Coach. Alternatives are Train to Moung Man or Phan Thiet and a taxi from there on to your accommodation.

Cheers Ross

Mentioned in this post
Phan Thiet
Phan Thiet
;