We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mui Ne or Nha Trang

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mui Ne or Nha Trang

I am looking at visiting Vietnam in August and would like to spend a week in a nice quiet beach place with snorkelling, warm clear sea water for swimming and no real big resorts. Which is better, Mui Ne or Nha Trang

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mui Ne or Nha Trang

Nha Trang has clearer waters and is better for snorkelling, but that's the only advantage it has over Mui Ne, which is way, way nicer. If you have the cash, stay in Ana Mandara or Sunrise Hotel in Nha Trang - both have private beach areas.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mui Ne or Nha Trang

Thanks so much, I will check them out. Which of Nha Trang or Mui Ne is more full of tourists?

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mui Ne or Nha Trang

Dales,

Both Mui Ne, Phan Thiet and Nha Trang are tourist destinations. Nha Trang is a much larger city and, except for Vinpearl, Ana Mandara and Evason Hideaway, which are located on their own beaches away from the city center, most of the resorts and hotels are located inside the city. It's more like a Miami Beach or Waikiki Beach atmosphere, albeit much smaller. Phan Thiet, on the other hand stretches for sixty kilometers along the ocean and is much more like a Hua Hin-Cha Am or Semanyak atmospere; that is, much more laid back.

However, there is snorkeling only in Nha Trang. The sand in the water around Phan Thiet is stirred up by the surf and the constant winds and, therefore, the water is not clear enough for snorkeling.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mui Ne or Nha Trang

Thanks Steve, in that case can you recommend any other beach areas in Vietnam? We are flying into HCMC. I am really looking for something like Thailand e.g. Samui ..... quiet with nice clear beaches but with bungalows on the beach and not in the cities. Thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
91 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mui Ne or Nha Trang

ive been to mui ne nha trang and cua dai beach near the amazing world heritage site of hoi an, vietnam is nothing like the beach scene in thailand, first of all mui ne is just a series of different resorts along a beach mainly for kitesurfing, you can do trips to huge sand dunes but really touritst at the first stop. red dunes. the white ones are better and quieter at sunrise. u can do it alone but just as handy get the trip with some company, the closest town is phan theit .excuse spelling . its a nice fishing town , not what you are looking for from what i gather

so nha trang, my girlfriend said it reminded her of phucket a little but nha trang was nicer. its a city right beside a beach but its palm lined. this is the main party area, bar why not and sailing club were very busy. sailing club held party on beach on saturday when we visited. the other bars are in the back packer area about 5 mins away , we snorkelled and did 2 dives but to be honest its no where near as good as ko tao but they tell u this,

if you contact jungle beach sylvio will organise a lift out of town to his bungalows on beach, its a beach about an hour from nha trang , not as secluded as it was but still nice. you get to meet loads of people and they had bonfires on the beach , nice waterfall nearby, worth a night there,

cua dai beach in hoi an was amazing, miles of white sand to get away from crowds. palm trees and little food shacks. no bars of clubs as in thai islands. the town of hoi an has pubs open late and there is a pool party held somewhere most nights, the flyers are everywhere, vietnam is a different experiene to thailand but i had just as good a time

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mui Ne or Nha Trang

Dales,

If you are looking for something like Samui, probably the closest thing in Vietnam would be Phu Quoc Island. You can fly there from Saigon. (I haven't been to Samui since 1988, so I'm comparing it to twenty years ago).

I can't comment on Cua Dai Beach, mentioned by CiarraiIreland, but that might possibly be another option. The only beach I know near Hoi An is China Beach which is now full of half-built and newly completed resorts that tend to be quite large and not at all what you are looking for.

If you want quiet and still wish to come to Phan Thiet, I suggest you pick a resort, between the city center and Ke Ga. It is very peaceful and quiet and does have some very nice beaches. Click on "top questions" in the upper right hand corner and look at my post on locations of resorts and restaurants in Phan Thiet to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Edited: 10:57 pm, February 12, 2010
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mui Ne or Nha Trang

Thank you all for your input it is very helpful. Just one last question, I see there is quite a bit of rainfall in August. Is this correct?

Ireland
Level Contributor
91 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mui Ne or Nha Trang

august is a good time to visit hoi an beaches and danang , hot and sunny . nha trang can be cloudy and rainy bit still warm

Phan Thiet, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Phan Thiet
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mui Ne or Nha Trang

Dales,

August is in the middle of the rainy season. What that means in the tropics is that it is normally relatively clear in the morning, then clouds up in the middle of the day and rains for two or three hours in the afternoon and early evening. The exception to this would be if a monsoon comes through, then it can rain all day. Some years there are three or four monsoons and some years there are none.

That said, Mui Ne records the least amount of rain in the entire country. One of the reasons that the area has so many desert-like sand dunes is that it is a relatively dry micro-climate, averaging only about one to two hours of rain every two days during the majority of the rainy season. Phu Quoc, Nha Trang and Danang all record much more rain than Mui Ne, but again, that does not mean that it will be raining all day every day.

Edited: 11:14 pm, February 14, 2010
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mui Ne or Nha Trang

Thank you for all the input. It is very helpful!