We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What differences are there between SWH & SRC?

NJ
Level Contributor
212 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
What differences are there between SWH & SRC?

Even though I booked SWH -- I'm still commiserating over the long drive (my trip is in June). I don't like heights and curvy-ness (I was crying in Hawaii coming down off the Hana Trail. 3hrs of terror back in '04). I was wondering if SRC would be a better fit, only because of the airport being close. However, SWH, has everything we like in a vacation (large pools, larger resort, spread out to be able to walk, etc).

Talk me out of switching folks!!

Chrys in NJ :o)

Island Routes Caribbean Adventures - South Coast
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Swim with Dolphins, Boat Tours, River Rafting & Tubing
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What differences are there between SWH & SRC?

VacationBound23: Based on your stated desires I think you'd be nuts to switch to SRC. The ride lasts 1 to 2 hours tops...then you're there...and everything you mention you like is SWH to a T so you're in heaven for 7 days/nights. If you stay at SRC, the first 2 hours are 'better' then your are miserable for 7 days. You do the math. As Chef said in Apocalypse Now, "Never get off the boat!" Stick with SWH!

Edited: 2:46 pm, March 05, 2014
Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
173 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What differences are there between SWH & SRC?

I wouldn't switch in any way!!! SWH is absolutely worth the ride from the airport. As others said.... try to grab a nap along the way and you'll be fine. My wife and I both loved seeing the scenery and locals along the way that I honestly didn't notice the ride being that bad! Trust me..... its worth it!!

NJ
Level Contributor
212 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: What differences are there between SWH & SRC?

I checked the prices for SRC and they are WAY more expensive than what I paid for a club level room at SWH. My room category for WH has gone up at least over $200! I probably wouldn't switch now if I wanted to! Also, I had got the $165 winter savings for WH, and now they've knocked it down to $125. Crazy.....but as others have said; we like what WH has to offer, even though the ride is long. WH seems to remind of of Sandals Antigua (which we really enjoyed), so I wanted something somewhat comperable -- minus the beach vendors. lol

@BSBGirl and Others: Why would a private transfer make the long ride any more tolerable? Do they magically fly over the potholes?!?! LOL Seems the trip would be the same regardless of who is driving it -- but enlighten me! :o)

Edited: 4:52 pm, March 05, 2014
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What differences are there between SWH & SRC?

WH is so worth the drive, and it really isn't that bad! I think the private transfers are just more comfortable. And you usually will have drinks which may help. Sometimes those shuttle buses are pretty crowded and the seats aren't that roomy. If you are tall, you don't get a lot of leg room. Not sure if they actually drive it any different but you do have a more comfortable ride.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: What differences are there between SWH & SRC?

Like others have said, WH is worth the drive! It's a beautiful property with a great beach, restaurants, and rooms and staff.

SRC is nice and has a great staff; rooms and beach not as nice as WH in my opinion.

I think you will love WH.

Calgary
Level Contributor
4,148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: What differences are there between SWH & SRC?

We always take a private transfer from Sangster to Sandals Negril...hour and a half drive depending on traffic. Private transfer drivers are VERY careful and, as those who posted above me said, it's much more comfortable. I have a mobility issue and using the private transfer made my life more tolerable on the drive to the resort. They don't fly over the potholes, but they will do everything to make sure you are feeling ok.

Word of advice for the future...avoid St. Lucia like the plague! You would never survive the drive. ;))

nova scotia
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: What differences are there between SWH & SRC?

VB23, I am not going to try to talk you out of switching resorts... if this was important, you would/should have dealt with this before booking! SWH and SRC both have some great qualities, with our fave being SWH, but that does not mean SRC is any 'less' of an experience, just different!

Take a ginger gravol before your transfer and chill...

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: What differences are there between SWH & SRC?

VacationBound23: As I stated in my earlier post, I don't recommend switch based on what you've shared...nevertheless, here are my thoughts around the actual differences:

1. Proximity to airport. SRC much closer.

2. Footprint size. SWH much larger.

3. Some tour/excursions vary. For example, Floyd's Pelican Bar is not really doable unless you want to blow pretty much an entire day from SRC. From SWH...very accessible in no time at all. Or if you had your heart set on playing golf at a Mo' Bay course...well again, you'd blow an entire day from SWH.

4. SRC has the stay at 1, play at 3 program. But there are so many restaurants at SWH for a one week stay, you've basically got the same options thematically.

5. SRC has the Private Island with a clothing optional feature. No such thing at SWH.

6. SRC has river suite accommodation category. SWH does not.

7. Beach width and length...much larger and wider at SWH.

Those are the things that come immediately to mind. We've stayed at both and enjoyed both. Your call!

Edited: 7:10 am, March 06, 2014
19. Re: What differences are there between SWH & SRC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, March 08, 2015