We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest Place To Book A Whitehouse Vacation?

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
173 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest Place To Book A Whitehouse Vacation?

So my wife and I visited Sandals Whitehouse October 13th through the 21st back in 2013 for our honeymoon. We loved it so much that we want to return this coming October for our first anniversary. We booked the first trip through a local travel agent, but.... I felt as if we paid quite a bit. Especially after speaking with some couples that we met during our stay. They paid less than we did. Anyway, I'm not opposed to booking it all on my own and not going through an agent, but looking to find out where the cheapest place to go through is. I'd love to hear what everyone says. Thanks in advance!

Island Routes Caribbean Adventures - South Coast
Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Swim with Dolphins, Boat Tours, River Rafting & Tubing
New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest Place To Book A Whitehouse Vacation?

Sandals sets the price for rooms... Your deals will come in the form of airfare or extras (spa or activity specials). Regardless of how you book, you will pay the same basic rate.

Sandals is really good about honoring "best price". If you book yourself, watch the pricing and sales daily, as they are steady then change suddenly.

If you have a travel agent, they should do the same for you.

Whitehouse is one of the more expensive resorts on the island. You might see some fluctuation, but not in comparison to other less expensive resorts. Grande Riviera is consistently less expensive on Jamaica.

We booked a basic room at SGR by ourselves (no TA) with the $400 deposit. We watched the pricing and called when it went down. They changed our balance due with no questions asked. We went basic so there weren't any "specials" to keep an eye on..it was strictly room price, so it was easy to watch... Other room categories can be more complicated because they often include free nights, free activities etc. if you look at the price per night, you can very easily compare changes in price.

Airfare has a lot to do with price of you are booking a "package". We chose to book our airfare and hotel separately and are quite pleased with the results.

A good sandals travel agent won't cost you any money and can help determine the best value for you, but with a careful eye you can do the same for yourself :)

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest Place To Book A Whitehouse Vacation?

I might add, we booked a vacation the same week as my brother and sister in law... I am very diligent at checking pricing and got a great price reducing on cyber Monday... $300 off! At the time there was some complication with the in-laws vacation, so we didn't notify them if the change... Once things were back on track, I saw another deal , $200 off or something, so I told them and they called... We both go the same room, but are paying different prices per night...

Be diligent and you will get a deal! Book with the $400 deposit when you can the watch closely :)

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
173 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest Place To Book A Whitehouse Vacation?

Sounds good, thank you! We already have a $500.00 credit to any Sandals for having almost 20k points from our last trip. So, that will help out alot. I'm not opposed to trying a different Sandals resort, we just really really liked the Whitehouse!

New England
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest Place To Book A Whitehouse Vacation?

If you like whitehouse... Go again.

There is something said to trying new resorts within the chain, but from what I've noticed, once people find a place they like they tend to compare and with some disappointment.

If you like it go again. Be a conscientious shopper and watch for value.

Whatever drew you to the resort in the first place is likely to be unique to that resort. Budget is always an issue these days, so just watch and be proactive on pricing. The fall months tend to be the least expensive, but it never hurts to price check or ask a travel agent for advice. Like I said, we don't have a travel agent, but I might seriously consuder doing so in the future, should we go beyond the basic accomodations. My boyfriend was at st Lucia for a stay and really thought the price was overrated for the service they got (concierge, I think) so after our start at SGR, I wil have a better view but I'm very. Importable with our booking.

Whitehouse is on my list, but I'm worried about lack of fun... Let me ow after y our second stay...honeymoon is always unique, I think... Staying for a fun visit is diiiferent ;)

Michigan
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheapest Place To Book A Whitehouse Vacation?

Just so you know, last year Sandals ran a Presidents' Day sale where they tripled your points up to 10k, so you got $750 off cashing in 10k pts. Also, if it applies to you or your wife, they also have a 10% military discount (active, retired, and all veterans with a Dd214). You just have to ask for it.

Another tip I've seen is to book your room with a few days on either side of when you plan to go and watch for good airfare deals. Then before you pay in full you can drop the days you aren't using. We didn't do it that way because our travel dates are not flexible.

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
173 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheapest Place To Book A Whitehouse Vacation?

Our travel dates won't be too flexible. To some extent they will, but I'd really like to be wherever we go during our actual anniversary date. Neither one of us are military affiliated, so that unfortunately don't apply. I am a government employee through our sheriff's dept, but not military.

We were so happy with everything at Whitehouse. ALL the staff was super helpful and friendly. Our beachfront walkout room, which I won't have to have this next time was super nice. The pools were clean, the beach was very nice, and all the food was super good. Just an overall great experience!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheapest Place To Book A Whitehouse Vacation?

I got the Cyber Monday deal too! Wahoo! Called Sandals and they reduced my balance due with no questions asked. I believe that I read somewhere that they'll do that as long as you haven't paid off your trip. I booked through Sandals.com, held my reservation for $400 and purchased the airfare in full (through a Sandals.com). The balance is due 45 days prior to our arrival so I guess that would be the price reduction cut-off.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
115 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheapest Place To Book A Whitehouse Vacation?

Hey KS...My first few years I booked prepackaged vacations through a tour operator (such as Air Canada vacations, Sunwing, etc.), and looking back, I know I overpaid. For instance, my first year to SWH, I paid $5,000 for 7 nights in the very basic room. That included a flight out of Halifax. After that year I started taking control of the entire booking process. I now check resort prices on Sandals.com daily and as soon as I see a great deal for the time of year I want to go, I put down the $400. I continue to check daily and call in if the price drops or if a new promo is added. I also keep an eye out for cheap flights. Now, this upcoming trip to SWH, at Xmas, I am going for 9 nights for $2700 (the base price was 3100 and I had $400 in SSG points) for the resort, add about 1k for flights for 2 people. That's a total of $3,700 for flight and resort over Xmas for 9 nights...versus the 5k we paid in 2010 for just 7 nights! The key for me has been to book as early as possible and then always always keep an eye out for price drops and new promos. And check for cheap flights often. :0)

PS. the day after I booked the upcoming SWH trip, the price went up by $500. Talk about lucky!!!

9. Re: Cheapest Place To Book A Whitehouse Vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 13, 2015