We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

toronto
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

There are 2 recent reviews that were very negative. Most other reviews are great.

I went to Whitehouse last March and loved it. I don't see how there could have been that much of a change. It was our favourite resort. We are going again next month.

So what's the deal. Are these people extremely picky? Unreasonable?

Thoughts?

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,703 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

I take reviews with a grain of salt. Only if there is something consistent which keeps being mentioned do I take note and do further research...and only if it is something which will impact my stay. People can be at a resort standing in exactly the same spot and one will say the sky is blue and another will claim it is yellow. Who to believe? The only way is to actually experience it yourself.

We are coming up to 10 stays at SWH...4 in the past year alone, and today we leave for the first leg of our journey back (very excited!). We wouldn't keep returning if we experienced the things mentioned in those 2 recent reviews. And we wouldn't have recommended SWH to all the people we do...including the friends who are coming with us on this trip.

The only certainty is that you can't please all the people all the time! :)

toronto
Level Contributor
74 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

TP55,

I agree with your take on the negative reviews.

Some people cannot be happy regardless. People forget they are on vacation and don't realize that things are different in the Caribbean. Some people need to relax and chill out.

I loved WH and I've been to lots of resorts in the Caribbean (including 3 other Sandals). It's our favourite.

I am baffled at the extremely negative reviews.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

Oh my I just read the one last night..............

Seriously?? One complained the women at the desk didn't know her name?

Complained that the staff didn't pull up the chairs to the firepit? Now come on! You gotta know that this person wouldn't be happy if they were hung with a new rope!:)

I laughed at so many of the complaints that were written and they did write a lot of good but only gave it Two?

Go next month and have a great time! You know what to expect.

Chambersburg...
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

TP55 totally agree. There are so many things to consider when reading negative reviews.

Assumption complaints: Complaints that make up 50% of bad reviews because the guest EXPECTED something that was never promised or outlined for them. They either expected it based on their experience at another resort or just lack or research on their part. Its completely unfair and legitimate in my opinion. Its like going into a Kmart and expecting them to have something just because walmart does. They never called, never asked, never looked and yet and get angry they went there and expected it to be there. stupid if you ask me especially when a trip like this can cost so much of your hard earned money, why not know what you are getting?

"I am owed" complaints: These are the worst. The people that got upgraded 9 times out of 10 and on the 10th time they got no upgrade feel like an injustice has been served. They are not grateful for the other 9 times, they just have come to expect something better than what was paid for. These same types of "the front desk should know my name." drive me crazy. They treat the staff like servants below them on the social scale and then wonder why they don't act friendly towards them. They expect a big red carpet for everything and then gripe when they don't get it. They feel they are above the policies, and are entitled to more than what everyone else is.

Legitimate complaints: My water is not working, dirty or unsanitary room, I did not receive a spa credit I was promised, our bed was uncomfortable, a staff member was rude to me. These are legitimate complaints and I never fault anyone for voicing them. But it is something to remember that just because it happened to this person does not mean you will have the same experience. Its always unfortunate when things go wrong on vacation and reason goes to stand that no resort will always be 100% perfect for every guest. Its important to remember that and then when the little things do happen, you can do your best not to let it ruin the rest of the trip. If you are unhappy with something, just express it to management. Most staff is more than willing to go above and beyond to make you happy.

Repeating complaints: the complaints that you see over and over in resort reviews or something even in just positive comments such as airplane noise or small beach or activity dies down around 10 or 11. When I see comments that are repeating throughout both good and bad reviews then those are the ones I really pay attention to because its not just one random persons bad experience. Its a reasonable deduction that I may have to deal with the same issue during my stay and therefore should consider it when making a decision on the resort.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
506 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

Rachael, that is one of the most thoughtful and well written posts/responses that I've read in a long time, and I agree with you 100%. As a frequent traveler and a Platinum Sandals guest, I spend as lot of time reading these forums, and I concur with your assessment of many reviewers.

CanadianDude, we all can expect once certainty - a long, bumpy, windy ride to WH (we're going back in May), and that is about the only GUARANTEED "downer". Other than that, weather, bugs, maintenance problems, etc. may or may not be a factor in anyone's vacation, but by and large, your trip will be what you make it. Be kind, and it will come back to you tenfold. Be patient, and it will serve you in the long run. If you encounter an issue, bring it to the attention of someone who can address it, and politely state your reasonable expectations for a resolution and time frame. Then sit back and relax. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

CD, we have communicated before and rest assured you will have a great time. There will always be a negative review as stated above, some will look for issues and overlook the beauty of that place. However, with 96% of all the reviews in the last six months being positive for the WH, you will be just fine. We just returned yesterday and other then a couple of windy afternoons (totally out of the WH's control) we had a great stay. We seven SWH trips we love the place and have already booked for next year. We do travel to many other places then just SWH and have alot to compare to.

Good responses above.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
534 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

Go and have the blast you want . relax and be respectful and you will be treated wonderfully..SWH is fine, many great reviews. no worrys cept the bumpy ride even they can be fun if your in the back of the bus..

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

i read most reviews and take them with a grain of salt like mentioned above but always look to see trends and common issues mentioned in several reviews. i think that reviews are all dependent on what people are looking for in a vacation and their expectations. there are some sandals properties we like better than others just because of what we were looking for in a vacation at the time. what boggles my mind is what people find to complain about. we have always enjoyed our trips to SWH but some years have been better than others.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

I'm here now and it's wonderful! Yes people save chairs but so what?! Never been to a resort where people didn't. I find this a very weird complaint. Food is subjective, never listen to food reviews. we find the staff wonderful. Learn from the Jamaicans, its all about attitude, Mon. We are in the lowest room category and our room is beautiful and spacious. We have traveled the Caribbean extensively. Rooms always smell a bit musty, open the doors or windows and let the fresh air in, no problems! You've made the right decision. If you can't enjoy yourself at WH, you most likely cant enjoy yourself any where. Nothing is perfect but many things come close.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,224 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 Recent Reviews - Very Negative???

Shooshen, great report, you have the same thoughts as us. As I mentioned above we just returned yesterday and saw and experienced everything, first-hand. Yes there are always going to be chairs saved, but we always saw good spots, with umbrellas available even at 8:30 - 9:00 AM on the beach and tons on the Main Pool. We loved the great new restaruant menus and experienced them all during our past two recent SWH trips, again first-hand. There was truly something for everyone and they will accomodate most everyones dining choices.

With extensive travel experience (generally 6 - 8 times a year) from the U.S., the Caribbean, and Europe we feel comfortable in continuing to highly recommend our favorite Sandals, the WH. We hope to get our most recent review posted soon, and it will be excellent again!

Edited: 3:45 pm, February 25, 2013