We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

Which White House hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St.John's...
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

Has anyone ever been to The Jewel Dunns River Falls? Considering going here or going to Sandals Whitehouse! I have a few issues.... Adults only vs couples only! Don't know if I will enjoy the adults only thing.....the size of the resort let's say compared to Sandals Whitehouse....and if I did go it seems that I would need to spend quite a bit more for a decent room (has anyone stayed in the basic rooms over there?) Also....do they have a points system for return guests like Sandals does?

The problem that I am having is that I have quite a few SS points so the cost of my trip is significantly lower than my friends that I am travelling with. SO they are looking for better deals...but I am struggling with if for example The Jewel would stand up to the standards that I've set myself up with by being a Sandals/Beaches guest! If someone can help me with the perks of one vs. the other I'd really appreciate it!!! HELP SOMEONE!!!! LOL! Tania

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

Tania, we are SWH regulars and have also been to the Dunns location when it was a Sandals. We enjoyed the SDR, but we found the WH to be much nicer. We will be returning to the WH in January for #6 there!

Why Sandals Whitehouse is our favorite: we love the remoteness and privacy (a big plus for us), the resort is well laid out and roomy, never a crowded feeling, a beautiful two mile long beach with ample lounge chairs/umbrellas (and no beach vendors), outstanding management team, free bus transportation from MBJ to SWH, countless places for privacy all around the resort, an awesome Return Guest Program (with a points system for each stay that can equal hundreds of dollars in discounts on your very next Sandals trip), a free week at a Sandals of your choice with after 70 paid nights, great Concierge Program, a great staff (all Jamaican) with a sincere desire to serve, we have always found warm/calm weather, the three swimming pools with swim-up bars (and each with its own personality, party time or quiet time), great new pool and beach bar service, plenty of lounge chairs at all pools, many great restaurant choices (with inside and outside dining options), the Martini Bar, the French Pastry Shop, all rooms have an oceanview, the grounds are wonderfully maintained and quite immaculate, there are always plenty of daily activities, great bartenders at the swim-up bars, there always seems to be a great age mix of guests, Neptune’s for seafood, Bluefield’s for a great and very casual lunch (jerk chicken on the menu), Eleanor’s for a bit more formal dining, tons of great outdoor seating at each of the restaurants, lots of fun water activities (kayaking, snorkeling, stand-up boards, sailing, water skiing, glass bottom boat rides, scuba, tubing), brand new fitness center and sports courts, super SPA (Red Lane), room categories/prices to fit everyone’s budget, outstanding butler rooms for those very special occasions, very good WIFI access, great sunsets, good excursions available thru Island Routes on site, very nice hot tubs around the property, top shelf alcoholic beverages, the Monday Night Beach Party, the Return Guest Dinner, the Thursday Lobster Gala, the new Beachwalk, tons of new outdoor seating in the courtyard, new fire pits, wonderful new permanent thatch beach umbrellas, no tipping allowed, great evening entertainment, OK so I'm getting carried away here. We do love the WH for many good reasons; mostly, it is “a classy resort without being stuffy.”

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

I can't speak of SWH since I have not been there.

We have been to Jewel Dunns River. It is a smaller more intimate resort. While it is an AO vs Couples resort most of the guest are couples. You will find just a hand full of girlfriend type groups while there. Since this was a former Sandals property they have maintained the same hard furnishings such as the four poster beds, armories etc. Depending on which room you choose will determine the size of the bathroom.

Just like Sandals things like room service depends on room category as well. At JDR & SWH you need to have a concierge level room to have room service. At the JEWEL you have the option to order from room service at the entry level rooms and simply pay if you want. IDK if that is how it works at Sandals.

SWH has the nicer beach hands down. JDR has a very nice beach for the size of the resort, the grounds are beautiful service is excellent with most of the staff being retained from Sandals.

Tipping at JDR is included BUT you may tip at your discretion. You will never be made to feel you have to tip but I know some like to tip for excellent service.

At JDR you are close to town for lots of things to do if the need strikes you. There is also some nice snorkeling right off the beach. Entry to the water is rock free, there is a nice sandy bottom with no mucky stuff or lots of sea grass. You have 2 very nice swim up bars as well. The water sports guys are fabulous if you want some Hobie Cat lessons, take the kayaks out or you want them to take you out on the Hobies.

Either SWH or JDR would be excellent choices. I know for US it would be JDR due to the size of the resort, the cost difference and the reputation of the management of the Jewel.

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

Two of the biggest differences is the size of the resorts. I was at the Jewel when it was Sandals, and it is quite small. And the beach is quite small. I haven't been to SWH yet, but it is a much larger resort with larger pools and a much bigger beach. Just depends what you're looking for. We prefer the big resorts.

Also, are you planning to do any excursions? Dunn's River is close to a lot; Dolphin Cove, Mystic Mountain, and Dunn's River Falls are like 5 minutes away. Whitehouse is not close to much.

Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

OOOPS......That should say " AMOIRES" . I don't think they have ammunition and weapon stock piles at JDR....hehehehehehe

Since this was a former Sandals property they have maintained the same hard furnishings such as the four poster beds, armories etc

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,540 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

lol frodo...I caught that! Was wondering if I would need to wear kevlar!

Just want to clarify for BSBgirl as I know she is going to SWH next year....not to worry...there is lots nearby (though not 5 minutes close...more like 30-45 minutes)...YS Falls, Black River, Appleton Rum Factory, Floyds Pelican Bar. Great and unique excursions. We'll be heading to the Pelican Bar in January with RandB!

@Chickapee... like some of the others, I've only been to the Jewel in its former life as Sandals. We thoroughly enjoyed it then and in fact was one of our favourites. By all accounts it's still a great place as the Jewel! For us SWH is our resort of choice for all the reasons mentioned by RandBTravel.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

Agree with TP, lots of great tours from the WH. We went to the Pelican last January and loved it. It is a very simple and very local Jamican bar out in the middle of the sea on a sand bar. A real riot!

Lakehurst, Canada
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

We were at The Jewel Dunns River in April. We'll be at Sandals Whitehouse at the end of October. We can update you after this next vacation ... on our observations and opinions between the two.

(and we did really like The Jewel. We had a corner room, top floor in the main building, amazing view from the balcony, great service, good weather and wonderful food, to list a few of the attributes.)

We are really, really looking forward to this trip to SWH. It's our 10th Wedding Anniversary and we've booked a Penthouse Concierge room. With the assistance we've received from the 'experts' and the following of all the amazing reviews ... we're darn confident of having an amazing vacation in less than 5 weeks!

We are getting pretty anxious! (the suitcases are now on the spare room bed)

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

Ok, I guess I should have re-phrased. 5 minutes on vacation is fine. 30-45 minutes is far, lol! And we hardly ever do excursions anyway, so no concern for me. Our "excursion" is going to be a trip to Sandals Negril. Thanks for the info though!!! :)

If excursions are a big deal, Dunn's/Ocho Rios is a great place to stay because they are so close.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,039 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

Garley, glad to see you're trying our favorite. We hope you love it like we do. We always get the suitcases out early too. Have fun at SWH.

Livingston, Montana
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Whitehouse vs. The Jewel Dunn's River Falls

How was your trip to SWH? We are interested in going end of October 2013, for our 10 year anniversary and have been having the same dilemma (SWH vs. JDR). Thanks!