We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Which White House hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

OK, just thought I'd like to gather a little more info on the Pelican Bar that I have heard alot about.

We are Sandals regulars and have been to Sandals WH four times, with #5 coming up in January. We usually don't do much touring, we just like to enjoy the resort. But, with the PB not being to far from the WH we thought we'd give it a try.

My understanding of the PB is that it is a very small local bar, out in the water! Sounds good to us for at least one visit.

What have been your experiences with it? Is it worth going to see? What are the different ways of going to see it? If you have been there, what have been the costs to get there? What is out there for the drinks at the bar and what about any possible food options?

Thanks for any input.

340 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
261. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

As TT10 says, it shouldn't be to bad. You would need to lift your first leg up from the beach starting point into the boat then the other. The boatmen are usually very good about assisting. Then the reverse on the steps at the Pelican getting out of your boat. This is truly one of those very unique Jamaican experiences. Hope you enjoy it.

Nebraska, United...
Level Contributor
485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
262. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Just to point out...when we went to the Pelican, the dinghy dumped us out in the water, and we had to hoist ourselves up on the ramp at the Pelican. It was fine for us, but it is a little tall, and can be awkward. I had my hubby give me a boost. I saw one guy slip, and got a massive sliver in his foot (the catamaran guys "operated" on the way back-shudder). Just FYI!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
263. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Thanks NEt for that update. We have been four times and have always been docked close to the stairs and easily stepped out of the boat on to the stairs. Was the boat to small/big to dock? Anyway, hope the sliver guy survived!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
264. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Opps, I meant sliver guy above!

Lots of folks asked about the IR's Tour versus going to the Pelican privately. We have done both and both were fun in different ways. Take a look at THE LIST for good private drivers to the Pelican and also here is the link for info on the IR's Pelican Tour:

islandroutes.com/caribbean-tours/…

Nebraska, United...
Level Contributor
485 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
265. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

It was the small inflatable dinghy. And the sliver guy did fine with plenty of rum on board!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
266. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

That would make sense then NEt. Those small inflatables can be a little tippy trying to climb up to the Pelican stairs. Rum is the cure for everything!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
267. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Check-out the latest reviews on the Pelican, if you haven't lately. They all seem to be very good and continues to make this place one of the those must-do Jamaican experiences! We always arrive early in the morning and quite abit of peace and tranquility. The most recent review expresses concerns about it getting more crowded. 10:30 AM (when it opens) til noon is a perfect time to be there.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g635963-d2…

Honolulu, Hawaii
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
268. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

For the person who asked, I met Fray, carver guy in February 2014.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
269. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Fray is a fun young man and is still out at the Pelican carving your name in the floor! He never asks for money, but a tip is certainly OK.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,043 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
270. Re: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar

Hey all! I wanted to wait awhile and thought now would be an appropriate time to post this link to the Pelican Bar about Bill Wintemute. Many knew him, if you didn't he was a regular out at the PB and loved his time out there. We had the opportunity to meet him a couple times out there and once while he was replacing his Canadian flag.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/11361520892/

We love the PB and will return. This is one of those truly Jamaican experiences.

Reply to: Sandals Whitehouse and the Pelican Bar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted