We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

dsw
Toronto
Level Contributor
283 posts
39 reviews
First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

Hi everyone,

well after spending a life time going to PUnta Cana, The mayan Riviera and cuba. Our travel agent has told me to Try The Sandals whitehouse. My wife and I are Young 50's, love great food, adults only resorts, a great beach restaurant is very important. We don't care for buffet style but love spending a few hours at the ala cartes with good food and wine. We also enjoy some enertainment at night. We are beach people so we love a nice beach with some shade. Can you please give your opinions of this resort or recommend another? We have been to most 5 star resorts in the other countries and need to see something different, Thanks

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

for all the reasons you list, I think SWH fits. This resort has all ocean-view rooms and I'll qualify that as saying there may be a few with slightly obstructed views due to mature foliage or lay of the land. The beach is 2 miles long, free of vendors and other resort guests. The pools are the best we've been to at any resort, as there is a very social fun pool, a fairly quiet peaceful pool and a very large main pool. Two have swim-up bars and one has a bar (just not swim-up).

There is plenty of choice for good food...we enjoyed all the restaurants including the buffet at Bayside. We did not have an unsatisfactory meal for either breakfast, lunch or dinner, and even with a 10 day stay this last time, we found plenty of variety despite eating at some of the restaurants more than once. Cafe de Paris is a gem of a cafe where you can satisfy a sweet tooth with home baked goodies anytime of day or evening.

There is entertainment nightly, from a Beach Party, to a small nightclub, to a very social martini piano bar, to music and dancing on the piazzo among many other activities including theme nights. Sandals serves Beringer wines...I am a wine drinker (not a connoiseur by any means!) but I thorougly enjoy their selection.

We've been to SWH twice and will return as it is our favourite Sandals. Our daughter is honeymooning there next year on our recommendation. If it helps you to see pictures of the resort including the beach, pools, buildings etc, feel free to send me a PM with your email and I will send you the link to my Picasa album...you may find it helpful in making a decision!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

I forgot to mention in my post that the location of SWH is remote...you don't just leave the resort to go for a walk to see the surrounding sights. Since this is your first visit to Jamaica, this might be a consideration for you. However, there are plenty of excursions offered or you can book something on your own with a local driver or with a local tour company.

dsw
Toronto
Level Contributor
283 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

Thank you for your post!

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

I agree with everything travelpair says! They gave us great advice before our trip to Sandals Whitehouse last month! It fits all your requirements and you will have a great time!

dsw
Toronto
Level Contributor
283 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

Thank you again. I'm just getting a little concerned because I read a review saying the beach was full of seaweed and the resort was way too big. I know you have to take some reviews with a grain of salt but it gets me concerned.

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

dsw...it all depends on what you consider "big". I don't like mega resorts where you need a trolley or cart to get from one end of the resort to the other. SWH is not that at all...if you stay in the French Village, which is the furthest from the piazza and restaurant area, it will take you approx 5 mins walk to get to the main pool, lobby, restaurants. The Dutch and Italian Villages are closer. The layout allows quiet time during the night for those guests who like to retire early. If you haven't already, check out SWH on Google Earth to give you a better idea of layout.

I can't really comment too much on the water at the beach, as we prefer the beach for walking and wading and the pool for swimming. The resort rakes the beach daily and I saw people swimming each day at the French Village beach and the Dutch Village....again, Google Earth might help you see the water condition (of course, it's only a snapshot in time and the water condition will change depending on the time of year and recent storm activity). I'm sure others can comment on the seaweed...which is a sign of a healthy beach btw! Also, under the Whitehouse forum, you can do a search on seaweed to read the previous posts on this very subject.

foxxy...glad you had a good trip!

dsw
Toronto
Level Contributor
283 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

Thanks for your advice. Just booked for the end of October!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,352 posts
176 reviews
8. Re: First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

We have been to the WH three times and will return for #4 in January. It is our favorite Sandals. Travelpair55 covered it very well. The beach is super, with some areas that have a little of mother natures greenery. NO, it in not all seaweed. You will love the beach, plenty of lounge chairs anytime of the day.

They have great restaurants, super staff, and three great pools with swim-up bars. Have fun and don't worry about the rare negative comments.

Moorhead, Minnesota
Level Contributor
122 posts
352 reviews
9. Re: First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

We also had a great time at the Whitehouse. We stayed in the French Village and would choose to stay in that village again, the grounds are beautiful to walk through, the french pool is very lively and fun, Bluefields restaurant is right there and the nature reserve section of the beach is right next door as well. There is not a whole lot for nightlife, but the martini bar was fun and you are tired after being in the sun and water all day anyway! Have a great trip!

10. Re: First time to Jamaica. SWH a good choice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, March 27, 2011