We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the Scuba and is it included?

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
How is the Scuba and is it included?

We will be traveling to Jamaica in Feb/2010 and are debating between the Whitehouse and the Royal Caribbean. We are both experienced divers and were wondering how the diving is at the Whitehouse.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the Scuba and is it included?

The diving at Whitehouse is ok. We saw a decent assortment of lobsters, small-medium sized fish, star fish, small jellies and a sting ray. The reefs were not particularly colorful and many were not really thriving at all. The clarity was pretty good, though. The dive crew was great, though - probably the best group of dive masters and guides that we've had at any of the Sandals resorts. The equipment was all in very good shape.

From what I've heard the diving at Royal Caribbean is also mediocre. During the time that I spent in the water in MoBay, I'd say the clarity was equivalent to Whitehouse. I didn't dive in MoBay, so I can't really give you any better information on the diving overall. Sorry.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the Scuba and is it included?

Sorry, I forgot to answer the "is it included" question. Yes, as long as you are certified (PADI, SSI, NAUI, IDEA, etc.) it's 100% included. They provide BC's, gauges, tanks and air, regulators, fins, masks and snorkels. In theory you wouldn't need anything other than yourself and a bathing suit but I would definitely recommend bringing your own mask and fins though.

Most Sandals resorts do 2 trips a day - a two tank deeper dive for experienced, certified divers and a more shallow single tank dive for anyone, including the newly certified divers or more cautious divers and those who have completed the resort course.

Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the Scuba and is it included?

Thanks tflagg, appreciate the detailed response.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the Scuba and is it included?

Not the best location for a Dive vacation......I didnt even really enjoy the snorkeling.There is no color to speak of..just different shades of muted beiges & browns...you will see some fish but not worth the effort as far as I'm concerned...when I want to do that I'll go to Bonair or Isles Morhese (not sure of spelling) in Mexico even the Bahamas, is better there..sorry just trying to be as truthful as possible and just give that facts as I see them. Good Luck and have a great time anyway

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the Scuba and is it included?

You may want to consider either Sandals or Couples in Negril instead. This link is to a dive op in Negril and although not associated with these two resorts gives a good overview of what to expect since you would be going to the same sites.

www.sundiversnegril.com/03DiveSites.htm

Cobourg ON
Level Contributor
790 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the Scuba and is it included?

If you can swing a trip to the Montego Bay Marine Park, then THAT is worth the effort.

I did one of my Open Water training dives there, and it's still one of my best dives to date!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How is the Scuba and is it included?

If you're experienced then you might be frustrated the way Sandals limits all divers to the level of the fastest air gulper. 1st dive about 1/2 hour, next dive not too much longer.

We had said we'd never dive at Sandals again but made an exception for Jamaica.

- the reefs are close enough that the short dive time isn't such a huge issue

- it's not really a dive destination as mentioned above -- we're going because of a great deal we got at Royal Plantation so the diving is "extra". I wouldn't subject myself to such short dives on a dedicated dive trip.

In Feb, I personally would take a wetsuit as the water will be around 78 deg. That's the one thing you have to rent if you don't take it -- $10/day.

I've heard that the health of the reefs has improved somewhat. We're going this weekend so I'll update you. (then on to Grand Cayman!)

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
19,497 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: How is the Scuba and is it included?

If it matters I copied the following from the Couples Swept Away web site.

Certified Diver Program

Dives are offered Sunday through Friday, deep dive in the morning and shallow in the afternoon. On Saturday morning we offer a two tank dive and no afternoon dive. The dives and gear are included with the price of your stay. We offer Night Dives for an additional charge. Consider upgrading your certification while you are visiting by taking an Advanced Course for an additional charge. Certified divers can dive once per day.

Non-Certified Divers

For non-certified divers complimentary Resort course and one complimentary introductory dive is offered. Additional non-certified dives are $50 per person, subject to availability. The Resort Course is offered Monday through Friday at 9:00 am. Guests are asked to sign-up one day in advance. This is not a PADI certification course.

Open Water Referrals

Our PADI Instructors can continue and complete any portion of the Open Water Course you may have begun at home for an additional charge. Couples Swept Away and Couples Sans Souci now offer online theory PADI classes.

PADI certifications, Advanced and Specialty Dives, Full Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver and Dive Master Certifications available for an additional charge.

All Divers

Please Click Here to review the medical questionnaire for divers. You don’t need to provide this form if you don’t have any medical condition that may require doctors’ waiver. Otherwise you must get the appropriate waiver before arriving at the resort (the form must be stamped by the physician / medical facility. You must bring the original form– faxes and photocopies cannot be accepted).

The alternative is to visit a doctor in Jamaica to be cleared to dive. Expect the cost to be at least $100 if done in Jamaica.

Night Dive

Available at $50 per person. Minimum of 4 participants required.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How is the Scuba and is it included?

yortuk -- I sent you a PM

10. Re: How is the Scuba and is it included?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 12, 2010