We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks in and around Cetona

Cape Town, Western...
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Walks in and around Cetona

I am going to be in Cetona for 3 weeks from 20th June 2013. My daughter and I love walking. Any ideas for good walks in and around Cetona that are safe for 2 women to do alone?

Jacci

6 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walks in and around Cetona

I'm glad you added the bit about being two women on your own for that's very important. There are lots of excellent walks starting in the village but many take you through the woods on the lower slopes of Monte Cetona and it is not recommended that women alone walk in forests anywhere in this area. If you take the lane leading out of the village with the Locanda / Cafe on your right and the Carabinieri on your left, you'll have several options for walks. One is by taking a footpath about 200m further on on the right that takes you down the valley and up the other side. This route is clearly signposted as it forms part of a longer route from Cetona to Radicofani. You'll come out on a dirt track with terrific views of the village behind you. If you go right (uphill) you'll come eventually to the exquisite little church of Santa Maria in Belvedere where someone from the Mondo X community is usually about and will show you the frescoes. It's free but maybe buy some of their (excellent) olive oil afterwards. Going the other way (ie downhill) you walk between olive groves and fields on a crumbling dirt track until you eventually come out on the San Casciano dei Bagni road. Just ahead of you you'll see a road leading to what I think is signposted Ponticelli. This is a lovely walk through fields that may well be full of sunflowers towards the end of your stay. Looking back you'll see awesome views of Monte Cetona. If you walk all the way until the bridge under the autostrada, you can turn left and make a circular tour that will eventually bring you back to Cetona. It's fairly flat (until the last bit back into the village) but it's a fairly long way. Alternatively, about half way down this lane you'll see a track on the left that takes you up passed some really nice properties. Go up here and eventually you'll come out on the edge of the village again. You may feel as though you're in the middle of nowhere but this is a popular route for dog walkers and runners so there are usually people about. Otherwise, the roads are fairly quiet in this area so you could always walk up to Piazze (amazing views all the way) or, going the other way out of the village, maybe up the hill to Sarteano?

Edited: 11:35 am, June 09, 2013
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walks in and around Cetona

Hi lastraniera,

You mention that the woods are not safe for women walking on their own, what about a man and a woman?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walks in and around Cetona

One more person here? What about a single man? I enjoy running around early in the morning. Are the woods not safe enough for the morning running?

Port Townsend...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Walks in and around Cetona

Why is that area in particular not safe?

Port Townsend...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Walks in and around Cetona

Why are the forest in that particular area unsafe???

Port Townsend...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Walks in and around Cetona

Why is that area in particular not safe?

Reply to: Walks in and around Cetona
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cetona