We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

Which Rio Grande hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

I will be arriving at the resort close to 7 p.m. and was wondering if there are any good and budget friendly places to eat close to the resort. After an all day of traveling, I am not looking for anything fancy, something very casual. I do not want to eat at the resort due to the reviews and prices. I am looking for something close by, any suggestions? Thanks

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

Go to the Brass Cactus in Luquillo. High quality pub with a good menu - burgers, steaks, outstanding ribs, salads, etc. Very reasonable. Open late.

From the resort: Go back down the hill to Rt 3, turn left (east). Go 3.25 miles to the road into Luquillo. Major stop light. You will see a McD' KFC, Walgreens etc. just up ahead on the right - turn left and in a few yards, left again. Go two blocks and you will see it at the base of a high rise on your right.

A little closer is "W" a decent sushi place, and Don Pepe - typical, decent PR fare. Go down the hill to Rt 3; turn right. They are on a small access road up about 100 yards on the right. Not sure of opening hours.

The Kioscos ( a strip of 30 or so small restaurants ranging from great to very local) are nearby on Rt 3 on the way to Brass Cactus, but you should save them for an evening with time for more planning.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,069 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

El Verde BBQ is on the way to the hotel, about 10 minutes before it. Very casual, cheap, and absolutely delicious food.

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1006845-d…

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

Ifyou arrive between Thursday & Sunday, Antojitos Criollos in the road to Rio Mar, is open until I0:00 pm, Don Pepe, in the Marginal road (parallel to road #3), is open until 10:30 pm, and the Luquillo Kiosks are open until very late. As said above, Brass Cactus is a very good option too.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

For breakfast you may want to try El Flamboyan (very close to Brass Cactus in Luquillo, or LLuvia or Palmer Bakery behind Eureka Gas Station on the Palmer road.

For lunch: Antojitos Criollos has lunch specials from $6.00; Ralph's supermarket in Canovanas and Fajardo, & K-mart in Fajardo have cafeterias with daily specials too. Pizzaland at the Eureka Gas Station has pretty good pizzas & calzones ( delivery service available for a fee).

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

Thanks everybody for all the information. I have a lot of different options now. It sounds like Antojitos Criollos is closer to Rio Mar. I will try that place the first night and the other suggestions on other nights. I read good reviews about Verde BBQ also. Once again, thanks a million!

Maine
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

We stayed at Rio Mar and our favorite dinners were at Barbakoa and Heidelberg Haus, both maybe 10 minutes away, toward ElYunque. Initially we thought why would we go to a German place in PR but it was very good and fun. We got a giant German/Puertorican group platter which was excellent.

For breakfast every day we went to LaFamilia 2 which is highly rated here on Tripadvisor.

When we got to the resort we asked the exact same question you just did and they sent us to Carabali. That was expensive, another tourist resort restaurant, and not at all what we were looking for. Not explicitly bad, but not an inexpensive local place to eat.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

Do you know if Barbakoa is open for dinner? What are the prices like there?

Maine
Level Contributor
404 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

We ate dinner there in November. They weren't open super late so it may be too late for your first night but part of the appeal is the property and you don't get to appreciate that so much after dark. I don't know the exact hours.

I can't remember specifics on price and everyone has a different idea of reasonable, but we were 4 adults with my 3 kids ages 8,10, and12 we thought prices were fine. It's not like its dirt cheap but it's reasonable. We would definately go again.

Edited: 12:23 am, July 18, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
55 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

Thanks! We should be there around 7 p.m. so we might have time to eat at Barbakoa. I start my journey tomorrow but will not get there until Friday. I can't wait!

10. Re: Restaurants close to Wyndham Rio Mar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 20, 2014