We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

NJ
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

Our family and another are renting villas through resortvillavacations.com for spring vacation. I was wondering what other peoples exeriences were here. We are renting Ocean villas. Can you use the Wyndham facilities like the pool? How close is a grocery store? Also, we have four surfers in our group. Is there a safe, not too dangerous place for average ability surfers, close by? Is there a place to rent boards? We really don't want to bring four boards.Thanks

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

You can rent boards and surf in the nest town "Luquillo" at La Pared.

You will need to go off property (rent a car or get a taxi) to get to the nearest grocery store. But it is close, maybe 7 mins up RT 3.

NJ
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

Thanks! We are really looking forward to this trip.

needham
Level Contributor
11 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

Any thoughts on the ability to use fascilities? Also has anyone done surfing lesssons?

Edited: 11:49 pm, February 11, 2010
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

Hello, I have never heard of that company and the website you mention does not exist. I am familiar with resortvillarentals.com If this is the rental agency that you rented from, they are very reliable. Also, they have a full time concierge and handyman for your use. I am sure you will enjoy the Ocean Villas very much, personally, this is my favorite place to stay in Puerto Rico, as well as our son's favorite place.

NJ
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

Yes I think that is the same agency. So happy to hear you like it there. I have a good feeling about our trip. Were you able to use the resort pool in addition to the villa pools? Thanks.

east dennis
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

we just stayed at the gran melia. my son 17 surfs so we went to luquillo beach and rented a surfboard from a surf shop in town, can't remember the name but if you google that area you can find it. My son surfed at la pared which he found difficult and the locals were very unwelcoming. Maybe just the day, who knows. The owner of the surf shop does lessons and advised us against la pared unless my son was experienced. He's pretty good so we went.

But for surfing, check out other areas, I'm sure he can advise. We ended up spending 4 days in Rincon and it was excellent for surfing. If you can take a day and drive over I highly recommend it. However, there must be surfing down the southeast coast, so check with the surf shops in fajardo too.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

La Pared at Luquillo is definitely for experienced surfers and is quite dangerous. A volunteer group of suerfers/rescuers work there and have started a program through the island. You can rent fron a couple of surf shops. Easy to find all. During spring, the sea conditions in the area are pretty iffy for surfing. Rincon is much more consistent year round. The beach at Rio Mar is not the best in the area, but not bad either. Ocean villas are well located, but expensive just because they are beachfront. You need a car here or are stuck with hotel food & will not be able to ove about the area very well or will cost you a lot!

NJ
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

Thanks for the information. Maybe the surfers in the group can go to Rincon for a day or two.

NJ
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

Thanks. We are planning on renting a car. Any really great resturants we should make sure we go to?

10. Re: ocean villas on Rio Mar Resort grounds and surfing beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 20, 2010